S3 steering rack into S1. Are XJS & XJ6 lower columns the same

Hi, I’m installing a S3 steering rack in a S1 which I’ve done several times. As we all know, I need to install the longer lower-steering column as well. Does anyone know if a 91 XJS lower steering column is the same as a S3 XJ6/12? I’m about 90% sure it is just want to confirm.

Thanks,
~Mike

Now that I’m near a computer I’ve confirmed that Lower Column Part no CAC27653 is the same for S3 XJ’s and XJS.

Yes no difference just be patient in making sure the splines align to let the pinch bolt through

Cheers
Carl

Thanks Carl. An XJS appeared in a local junkyard which is a super rare occurrence around here. Stripping what I can get and wanted to be sure that lower column fits an XJ before I gave 'em $25.

~Mike

1 Like

If it’s a 93-95 model it might have the ZF rack,

I’d also look to see if the rear trailing arms have mounts for a rear sway bar.

I’m jealous, an S2 XJ12 just showed up in my local yard but the lockdown is preventing me from going out for a look.

It’s a 90 or 91. Not a ZF rack but I bought it anyway to convert one of my S1’s.

I actually bought one of the radius arms - woulda got both but the junkyard bent the heck out of the other. They were the style without the sway bar mount but I needed 'em to replace the rusted out ones on my XJS.

Yeah I really shouldn’t have gone but I couldn’t resist. We’re comparatively clear of virus here so not as risky as some places.