S3 timing chain tensioner

I managed to get the tensioner out without breaking it. So damn proud of myself that I reused it in the otherwise complete rebuild. Now having second thoughts, I’ve decided to replace it. (The engine hasn’t been fired, it’s only been about 4 years). SNG has 2 choices, real Jaguar part or aftermarket. There’s a significant $ difference. Any advice as to which is preferable?

@Jeff_Schroeder … I think he’ll recommend the Jaguar part.

1 Like

Actually the aftermarket is great, and I’m not convinced that they aren’t the same part. There is zero chance that Jaguar is having them remade by a second supplier in my opinion, so either it’s an unnecessary markup (likely), or a shelf aged part, which you absolutely don’t want to use.

Go with the aftermarket :+1:

1 Like

So sue me…:crazy_face:

I went with the aftermarket recently while doing the same exercise, Marv. The part appears to be well-made and I have no complaints. The “original” part is shown as special order, probably because nobody ever actually pays over $600 for that part. Jeff’s point about it being highly unlikely two suppliers tooled up for a part with such limited demand seems like a good one.

It’d also imply that the genuine badged part has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a long time if it $600 a go, since almost no one is going to pay over the odds for parts. It’s not like there is a huge market for either part.

kind regards
Marek

Thanks for the inputs. The aftermarket it will be.

That would be quite feasible, as in the majority of cases when the After Market manufacturers get to work, rather than copy exactly what has proven to work quite satisfactorily in the past, they punch above their design capabilities and stuff it up.

Regards,

Bill