Sagging boot fixed

Have been propping up the boot with a stick for years. Yesterday I fitted these inside the main springs as “boosters”. They’re made of 2.3 mm wire and they’re just zip tied in as a trial fit. Boot stays up now. It’s an easy fit as they’re about the same length as the main springs. Paul.

1 Like

There’s been a mad discussion years (decades?) ago about adding gas springs (and it evolved into a mechanism that allowed the boot lid to open up further using a hinge on the hinge which I thought was nice - if only it had looked good!). This is much neater although I haven’t had trouble with the boot lid yet. Why am I commenting? Don’t trust the zip ties… I don’t like using them even for a trial fit. Takes one to snap while closed even if it can’t really go anywhere.

Do they rattle against each other?

Hi David, no they don’t rattle. I didn’t really expect them to work as well as they have done. The “finishing coil” on the main spring completely contains the smaller spring, given the way it ocludes the bore. Let’s see how it goes. Paul.

Hi Paul,

Might give this a go if Bunnings here sell them. I get a bit fed up with having to use a prop!

Bob

Hi Paul, I checked these springs out at Bunnings New Zealand, what a rip off. Over in Australia they’re $9.90, here they’re twice that price!

Have you fitted them permanently yet? If so how did you attach them at the front end?

Regards

Bob

Can you post a photo of this spring installation?

Gents, I will post some pictures - out of town at the moment. Will upload on Saturday. As you say Bob less than $10 each here. Made in the USofA. It’s a surprisingly easy fit. The unloaded length of main and helper springs are about the same. I might wire them in or use metal zip ties. Paul.

If your bootlid doesn’t open right up, or droops slightly, chances are the hinge pins and hinge are worn

This slack means spring tension does not begin to apply until the boolid has drooped enough to take up the slack
Also, the hole where the spring tang locates flogs out, exacerbating the problem.
I reamed out the oval holes and fitted inserts to restore normal clearances and all is well. Made new hinge pins from bolts , heads turned down to correct thickness.

3 Likes

Great job, Kevin,

I chickened out over years and resorted to propping the boot lid up with a large umbrella. Always good for making by-passing pedestrians smile, but not very proficient.

Only some weeks ago I got new old hinges which fixed the problem. Unfortunately, now the opening angle is much smaller than with the umbrella propped in and makes me hit my head against the lock. Guess I’ll keep that umbrella for the next umpteen years …

Good luck and thanks for sharing

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks Jochen, my pleasure; that’s what we’re here for. Way back when, I tried buying replacement springs, thinking they had lost their tension and was told wear was probably the issue, which it was. I guess most don’t actually know the cure is quite simple.

Here’s a photo of my fix - forgot to send

No doubt Kevin is correct. Maybe some day I will do it properly! This is good for five minutes a side. Paul.

1 Like