Sagging Headliner - another temp fix

2001 XJ8 150,000 Km.
I bent 1/4" copper tube to conform to roof, flattened 1/2" length at each end to fit behind trim, my wife sewed a sheath of cloth to cover the tube, added hot glue to secure ends to trim. It has been in place now for 6 y

ears. See attached p hoto.

2 Likes

Stainless thin welding rod works too. You will probably have to weld a couple of lengths together to make the span, but being thin it part buries itself in the fabric and shiny polish matches any colour.

The broker who sold me my 2002 had a new liner installed for $200 (passed along to me). Seems very fair.

1 Like

I got my 1990 XJ40 (no sunroof) done locally for about $250 a few years ago. Shop never had to remove the back board completely from the car but was able to do it in the car and completely recover with matching material. Eugene Oregon USA

1 Like

Five bucks, and only used six for the job from the back of the sunroof pocket to the rear window, keeps it up where it belongs, could be factory buttons up there to a casual observer.

1 Like

I am parting out an xj8 that has a nice headliner. Pretty sure it was replaced and looks really nice. If anyone is interested I can pull the whole board out. I am located in the western Chicago suburbs.

I’ve seen them before. What are they called?

Twist pins, got em on Amazon

I painted thumb tacks to match the grey headliner and tacked the headliner back into place. If you are careful to line everything up it looks really nice