Salisbury Axle End Float

Salisbury 2HA of my Mark V.
PICT0005
The piece at bottom right is a thick spacer.

PICT0008

Rob, does the 2HA thick piece have a raised lip on one side? All the ones I have have the raised lip, and I have the 2HA out of the 120, so I should have a pair somewhere, if they are different?

No, it was flat like the shims.

The Salisbury axle illustration in the service manuals is labeled “(Mark IIV illustrated)”. I would bet that the illustration is based on the 2HA, not the 4HA. On your 2HA, was the flat plate between the backing plate and the axle flange (parts manual location), or between the wheel hub and the backing plate, directly behind the grease seal housing (service manual location)?

The illustration or exploded view drawing appears to be the same in the Mark V and Mark VII/XK120 manuals, and is of a 2HA as the round rear cover is seen, where 4HA has a cover with straight portions on the sides.

Best I can remember, the order of assembly was:
gasket
brake backing plate
shims
thick spacer plate
gasket
seal & housing
5 bolts
hub & nut

The thick spacer has a smaller center hole than the shims, and its purpose was to hold the bearing in, with a small clearance provided by the shims which had an ID slightly larger than the bearing.

fwiw- my crappy xk140 old paper parts catalogue describes 4HA-035 as ‘Plate, between Flange of Axle and Backplate.’ - axle, shims, plate, brake backing plate, gasket, seal - someone with xk150 info ? as that is what it is.

XK150 is out of the mix on this issue. It doesn’t have a separate bearing retainer plate, the caliper mounting bracket serves that purpose. I think what we have here is that from 2HA to 4HA the location of the plate flipped from the outboard side of the brake backing plate to the inside. Apparently, the various factory service manuals continued to use the 2HA exploded view illustration as typical for several years, despite the fact that the 4HA was the standard part. Looks like the 4HA plate featured a backing plate locating flange, while the 2HA plate was flat.

Interesting discussion and observations, I am in the middle of an XK-120 4HA Salisbury rebuild and just looked at the above parts to see how they fit. The bearing retainer plate positions the depth of the outer axle bearing race, so it makes sense for the flat surface to contact the bearing race. As I looked at the flat side of one of my bearing plates I found the bearing race part number had transferred itself to the that surface, confirming what Mike and John have concluded above.

The flat surface of the bearing plate is located against the bearing race, spaced out from the rear end housing flange with shims to set the axle end float, and the bearing plate has a raised outboard ring that locates the brake backing plate. Then the gasket and outer seal are bolted onto the face of the brake backing plate.

Tom Brady

1 Like

I think you have summarized it accurately. For a 4HA, use the spare parts manual illustration, not those shown in the service manuals.

Looks like they used the backing plate itself to hold the bearing cups in place on the earlier axles, then created a thrust plate with the ridge, which then was fitted between the axle flange and backing plate on later axles. So, the earlier version of the thrust plate would not have needed the raised ridge…nothing to locate since the backing plate would have been already installed. So why would there be a need for any additional plate at all if the backing plate was already designed to hold the bearing cups? Extra strength? And is the earlier plate quite a bit thinner than the later one?

After rereading Rob’s post, the backing plate on the 2HA would have to be part of the shim system since it seems to be interposed between the axle flange and the thrust plate?..sumptin’s not making sense here…