Salisbury Rear Axle Shaft Hub Nuts

Creating a new topic, I cut and pasted this from a different topic that was starting to get sidetracked.

This in the XK world is important as the rear-axle shafts on a Salisbury rear-axle, indeed uses 1"ANF - 14 tpi threads, which can be a challenge if you need replacement 1" ANF slotted-nuts.<<

I’m not clear on if there is a difference between 1"-14 ANF thread and 1"-14 UNS thread? Is it in the thread form, or tolerances?
Would either of these UNS thread nuts work or could be modified to work on an axle?
90630A175_UNCOATED GRADE 8 STEEL NYLON-INSERT LOCKNUT.pdf (122.7 KB)
95030A320_SLOTTED LOCKNUT FOR USE WITH COTTER PINS.pdf (97.7 KB)
The nylon insert nut is high strength Grade 8, but could be modified to accept a split cotter pin.
The slotted nut yield strength is not given, but described as low.

I don’t know the yield strength of the original nut but it is thin in the unslotted area.
PICT0001
PICT0008

My go-to engineering do-all is Machinery’s Handbook, 25th Edition, Industrial Press. Pg 1717 defines: Unified Square and Hexagon Bolts, Screws and Nuts “Items that are recognised in the Standard (ANSI B18.2) as “unified” dimensionally with the British and Canadian standards are shown in bold-face in certain tables.” Leafing through those tables, most sizes 2" and smaller are in bold-face type. The design drawing is labeled American National Standard Unified Internal and External Screw Thread Design Profiles

My takeaway is that a tread described as Unified covers both British and American dimensional specifications.

That will cover the male and female threads perfectly OK, so the male thread on the end of the axle shaft or on bolt, and indeed any internal threads. But you need to now refer to the British Standard for all the external dimensions of the various Nuts, especially something like a Slotted Nut as used on an XK and Mark VII, VII, IX and 2 rear axle shafts and front axles, and indeed Castleated Nuts, not that I can think of any XK useage. All Jaguar fasteners were purchased and supplied against the relevant British Standards which is one of the reasons I always prefer to reuse, or source used originals if possible, and ensuring no significant damage. There are other good reasons as well, such as the strength of material which is a real issue with fasteners made in Asia.

Roger

Thanks Mike and Roger.
I’ve looked all over the house and can’t find my copy of Machinery’s Handbook. I’m afraid I left it at the office when I retired.
Can you tell me what it says on page 1635 about modifications to the former standard?