[Saloon-lovers] First time loading pictures on Jag-Lovers of my Mk2 - DynaMatSound Installation for

In reply to a message from Jeff Warner sent Thu 5 Apr 2012:

Jeff,
Good looking install. Did you discover any tricks while
putting the dynamat on the outer doorskins? Just thinking
about installing matting there makes me think that a spray
on coating would be easier to apply.

Andrew–
The original message included these comments:

The pictures at the site below are while installing DynaMat to reduce the body /road noise from engine bay and outside.

1968 3.8S
Zurich, Switzerland
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

[Commercial use of subscribers e-mail addresses prohibited.]

To remove yourself from this list, go to

// list policy dictates that messages be trimmed

Have a look at Eastwood’s line of products. I have not yet
installed them as I am waiting for the warmth of spring here
in Colorado, USA. I am first going to thoroughly clean the
inside of the door panels and apply rust proofing and water
resistant coatings and then apply the barrier over top these
liquid applied compounds. This type of material easily beat
the water retaining jute that so readily has rusted out many
a Jaguar door. I have preliminarily cleaned with a scraper
and compressed air which was quite a show of years of dust
and crud as the lower vents became unplugged.

Have a look at the video links that Eastwood shows about the
heat reflecting and sounding deadening abilities, this type
of stuff is impressive.

Very nice job of installing the Dynamat. You will see
incredible results!

http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=thermo-coustic%20sound%20deadening%20material

Gerard–

My restoration car is a very late 1960 MK2, It was shipped to Houston Texas in December 1960 and sold in January, 1961. The Mk2 with 3.8L and overdrive and wire wheels.
I am currently focused on interior installation
The pictures at the site below are while installing DynaMat to reduce the body /road noise from engine bay and outside.
DynaMat is a layer of rubber with adhesive on one side and thin aluminium sheet on the other.

The Jag Man
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

I’ve been on the road so sorry for delay in replying.

1. I made PAPER PATTERNS for the floor, firewall, door, and transmission panels.
    I used the remnant paper from a local newspaper print shop that was on a roll about 3 feet wide. Cheap = $4
    The newspaper thickness was great as I could lay it over all the bumps and bumps and use the marker to mark the defined edges… it just crumples to conform the pattern.

2. KEEP THE PAPER PATTERNS as they will be useful to confirm the foam heat insulation later

3. KEEP ALL THE SCRAPS as you will find places for almost all of them

4. Use hole punches for carpet stud, seatbelt mounts, and other holes.

5. SHORT BLADE SCISSORS with long handles work best. Think hospital bandage cutters here.

6. Use spray BRAKE CLEANER to keep all the cutting tools clean. The “rubber” on these sheets is dissolved by this chemical and makes easy to wipe the scissors and blades clean

7. DO THIS FOR THE DOORS BEFORE THE GLASS IS INSTALLED. It was much easier to install on front doors without glass than back does where the glass was already there.
    I installed the DynaMat inside the doors by cutting it into 8 to 10 inch wide strips. Easier to fit through holes on inside door panels.

8. CHECK FUTURE PART CLEARANCES. I installed all over the transmission tunnel cover including 1/2 foam and then found there was not enough clearance to mount leather covered tunnel cover and the required rear seat heater hose.
    Nothing like having to cut off what you just installed to remind me that I need to think much further down the road.

9. KEEP The ADHESIVE PAPER COVER ON TO THE LAST SECOND. By leaving the cover on the strip/sheet of DynaMat on you can position the piece to start and if off slightly it can be pulled and stretched into proper alignment as you go. It also keeps it from randomly grabbing all the other panels while you tray to put into position… think here about the inside of rear doors with glass winders installed.

10. USE CHEAPER ROOF TAPE to save money.
    Roof Tape is 6 inches wide and 25 feet long strip on a roll for a total of 12.5 square feet for about $16 or $1.28 a square foot …verses
    DynaMat is 18 inches wide by 32 inches long sheets (9 sheets per box) so 48 square feet for about $134 or $2.80 a square foot.

Yes, the DynaMat is a little thicker but… worth more than twice as much?

BTW: I also reload ammo and have a vibrating brass shell case cleaner that is so noisy it drives me out of garage when running. A few select pieces of this on the lid… quieted down completely.
Also a few strategically placed strips of cheaper roof tape on a heater duck panel quieted it down as well.

Jeff–
Jeff Warner
Director of Six Sigma and Performance Improvement
Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center
(208) 367-4749
(208) 367-6666 FAX
jeffwarn@sarmc.org

“JagWaugh” andrew.waugh@bluewin.ch 4/6/2012 1:07 AM >>>

Jeff,
Good looking install. Did you discover any tricks while
putting the dynamat on the outer doorskins? Just thinking
about installing matting there makes me think that a spray
on coating would be easier to apply.

Andrew

1968 3.8S
Zurich, Switzerland