Salvage Hunter's bugger a TWR

Just my opinion but I was a bit rattled by Drew and crew tearing down a 6.0 TWR and returning it to stock. Could they not have found a better candidate and left this special car to someone who could really appreciate it?

1 Like

Didn’t see it Stu, but sympathize with what you are saying

best regards and welcome- - Jim

1 Like

Well if you can take, it here it is. And in the best traditions of reality shows the BS is knee deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqpKquKk3oA&t=0s

Me, I would have gone with TWR green over the whole body or maybe BRG, kept all the badging, etc. and found a LOOONG stretch of highway.

I saw this episode a while ago and had the same reaction.
Drew should stick with his “antiques”.

Silly question: wasn’t the TWR package just a stripes and body bits kinda thing? Underneath was more or less a standard XJS?

Asking for a friend…:wink:

Paul,
I believe that the answer is yes and no. The TWR modifications varied. Some modifications were extensive and expensive but others were just ground effect kits sold and installed by owners or their shops.

Paul

From Wiki: TWR created ‘TWR Sport’ in 1984 to produce heavily modified versions of the Jaguar XJ-S. Designated XJR-S, the cars benefited from the racing experience in European Touring Cars, featuring improved aerodynamics; uprated suspension and brakes; tuned engine and detail changes. The success of TWR Sport led to the formalising of a joint venture (50/50) in 1988 called ‘Jaguar Sport’. Jaguar Sport would initially focus on building tuned versions of Jaguar road cars (the XJR-S coupe and XJR saloon). However, with overwhelming demand to put the concept Jaguar XJ220 into production, it was decided that Jaguar Sport would design and develop the new supercar, for which a new facility was secured at Bloxham, Oxfordshire. Production commenced in 1990 with the final cars delivered in 1993.

Was the car “buggered,” an XJR-S?
I didnt think it was.

It was my supposition that the car had a 6.0 motor (non-stock) and the the PO from whom Drew bought it was an enthusiast, therefore not given to owning a “fake” TWR. This was an early model XJS and according to sources the real deal. The badging for TWR and the upgraded motor are evident on the tail panel.

It was my supposition that the car had a 6.0 motor (non-stock) and the the PO from whom Drew bought it was an enthusiast, therefore not given to owning a “fake” TWR. This was an early model XJS and according to sources the real deal. The badging for TWR and the upgraded motor are evident on the tail panel.

for S&G here’s Mr. Walkinshaw at Bathurst:

ps - it got him pole

One of my fave YT vids, of a car in action!

I may have viewed that a 100 times, myself!

Turbo pickers did the same and turned a 3.6 into a spurious TWR

Well the makers of this show have blocked that vid in the UK. Says a lot for what they think of it!
However even without seeing this episide I have seen others of the Salvage Hunters series migration into classic car restoration and I also feel that Drew should stick to antiques of which he has an obvious knowledge and affinity. Not so much with classic cars I feel. This diversion into cars makes me cringe! Cheers. Richard (Jackdog1)

ive just watched this on the computer and they actually put a pre H.E. tarted up
with later TWR bells and whistles and 6lt badges back to a very nice pre H.E.
the only thing they didn’t change back was the gear changer lever which had a single knob and not T shifter

well that’s a relief!