Santa's Slay? 454+N20 XJ12L

Warning, not suitable for purists!

At least they have a sense of humor, not sure if it will help them make a sale.
Go to “Full Description”
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Jaguar-XJ12-Video-Inside/152835772978?hash=item2395b8d232:g:GJEAAOSwIFtaOqVF&vxp=mtr

Not many sellers have the juevos to mention there was a small fire - but not to worry!

Great marketing approach – and the video does wonders for credibility.
I’m tempted, as long as it doesn’t go into 5 digits.

Always did like the XJ12 stance.

They will sell it for sure, its business purpose has been served and they have no emotional attachment like a private seller.

Whoever did the swap did a great job of positioning the engine - from what I’ve read on the big block into XJ swaps the normal expectation is that it won’t fit under a stock hood, can’t fit air conditioning, and there are no exhaust manifolds that fit without welding in center outlets. It appears that all of these potential fitment problems are not an issue on this car.

Hi,

Ok, I’m a purist, but I still enjoyed that a lot! :smiley:

At least it seems to handle like it’s supposed to and I am sure Santa could not find a better drive anywhere. :wink:

<:-)>

Baloo - were you the winning bidder? At $4,050 it was went for well under your 5 digit limit. Should be loads of driving fun for $4,000, and as a bonus it probably gets better gas mileage than the V12.

Tom!
NO! I did not get it! I forgot to check the progress of the auction, and it ended without me going in last minute to “snipe” it!
I will continue to watch, though… So many of the EBay auto auctions end up being No Sale, because the buyer reneges.
Matter of fact, I am going to shoot the seller an email saying I’ll buy it if/when the buyer backs out!

Dang, that was a good buy, sorry you missed it ! There are snipe services available that take care of your snipe bids automatically, well worth it so that you can’t forget to bid. If I didn’t already have my 350 lumped '76 XJ12L in the same exterior/interior color combo I would have bid on it. The N2O is overkill, I would have sold that and the Holley 750 off and maybe replace it with one of those self contained 4BBL throttle body FI units.

Tom,
I emailed the seller and he said that the buyer seemed enthusiastic, BUT he would contact me if they fell through.
I’m counting on the buyer still having to tell his wife, and THEN…

…then, the buyer will fail to continure contact with the seller, and

1. The seller either contacts me and negotiates a better deal for me, with immediate cash and pickup, or…
  2. He reposts on EBay to try his chances again.

Next time promise me that you will use an automated snipe bidding service - counting on buyer’s remorse is not a good strategy! I’ve seen deals go sideways, including bogus excuses of spousal disapproval. Usually the real reason behind 100% of backed out of deals is when they start to feel they have massively overpaid - and this car’s top bid is hardly over the top. Anything can happen of course, but if I was you I would be looking for another car. If you liked the 454, barely any XJ swaps have been big blocks.

Will check about sniping service, but being uninformed, I am sceptical of why people would offer this, except for payment?

yes, you pay a fee only if you win. It’s like 10 cents… You normally get the 1st 3 free. I use ezsniper.com

I have been very happy with gixen.com

Yes of course they are in it for the money. They charge you for the service, you pay for your purchases through eBay. For the nominal fees charged I guarantee you will win more auctions because most people do not use a snipe service. When there is an item with a number of active bidders the winner is determined many times by who gets their last bid in - doesn’t mean there were not bidders willing to go higher. There is no way you can type in last micro second bids more quickly than an automated bid.