Scrapping 91 lattice wheels

Yes, but not the 225/65/15. I am in Germany and TüV won’t accept the 215s. So noone wants the wheels…

Are 225 required on the XJ-S? For the XJ6 it’s 205/70 or 215/65, which fit just fine on those wheels.

3 Likes

I like the debumpered front end, Nick!

Is that your 544, in the background?

Thanks, and no, that belonged to my then neighbour. The photo is a few years old now.

Really? Even if you show them that 215’s came on the car from the factory?

Both NTB and Discount Tire also show the Pirelli 15"ers available, but by “special order”. They also are like in the range of $250.00 or so apiece. :open_mouth: I’m a bit confused by this, though, as I thought Pirelli announced several years ago they were no longer going to make tires for anything but commercial vehicles, or maybe it was they were only going to export those to the U.S. :confused: Did they change their minds on that or something?

I have lattice on my 88…2:15-65-15 Hankook tires

1 Like

My 83 XJ wuzza sic has worn Lattice wheels for severa years. shod with B. F. Good rich ?T" series 215 70 15 .

Looks great handles great, rides great.

But, ugh the combo is too tall for the spare well… a kent left over rides there.

other Kents resice in my old office. Why? No good answere.

Sorry, I thought the XJS tyre size is the same as the XJ40. My wheels are XJ40 wheels and the standard tyre size is 225/65/15 for that.

XJ40’s used 7" wide wheels while the XJ-S used 6.5" wide wheels until it went to 16". But the XJ-S was variously fitted with 205/70-15, 215/70-15, 225/60-15, 235/60-15, and perhaps a couple of other sizes from the factory over the years – sometimes fitting a different size in Europe than in North America. And through all that, the speedometer didn’t change, the part numbers remained exactly the same.

Here are Cooper Cobras on my 92 I like the look.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve always loved white letters. Had them on my '66 Mustang fastback for a while, but unfortunately the tires themselves were awful. Replaced them with a set of radials that were far better tires but looked blah.

At one time I used to install mechanical taximeters and the speedometer cables ran them…to make adjustments we sometimes had to change the nylon gear on the transmission… usually because someone changed tire size… nowadays they are electronic.

1 Like

As mentioned recently - check eBay, you can get stick on white letters. No more blah looking tyres (unless you choose to write “BLAH” on them).

The last vehicle in my possession with white lettewrs was my 85 Ford 4x4. Even mY Jeep wears it’s WRanglrts, whie un…

Xael

Expensive letters and whitewall stripes…imo…not worth the bother

I saw a guy driving down the highway in a hoonmobile of some sort, in order to get the look he wanted he had blackwall tires with a separate piece that made them whitewalls. It looked like it actually fit between the tire and the bead of the rim. Anyhow, probably looked OK at a standstill, but while rolling down the highway the tire would bulge out at the bottom where the weight was on it and the white sidewall would completely separate from the side of the tire and flail outwards, only to come back in line as the tire came off the road and back up the back side. Perfectly smoothly and continuously, no flutter or other excitement. Looked stupid, though.

I think they’re called Port-O-Walls

I recall two versions.

Late 40’s Chrysler used them!!!.

My brother and I fitted a set to the family 38 Dodge. Livened up the stodgy black four door…

One version in tin.

Another in rubber.

The latter a bit floppy as Kirby says…

Factoid:

White latex makes WSW’s look very genuine… don’t ask…

Carl

1 Like

Yup, had the very same things on my 1959 Ford 100E. Back in the 80s when US fancy stuff like real whitewalls in the UK were made of unobtanium. Don’t remember the bulging effect - although I was always driving the car, and it was a struggle to get the 1172cc flathead engine to go at any real speed.