Scrapping XJ-SC (cabriolet). Questions

1. The rear quarters and rocker panels are too nice to crush. Thought I would cut them out to save. How does one separate them where the rear quarter and rocker panel mate up just behind the door. Nothing seems obvious.
  2. Fuel tank removal. I’ve done every thing the manual says to do, essentially gut the trunk. Now I’m supposed to “Displace and carefully manoeuvre the fuel tank from it’s location.” That rascal is in there tighter than tight. Any ideas? I’m thingink cut the rockers and rear quarters off, and the cut away everything that isn’t gas tank, and pray I never need to use it for my car.

Its probably just stuck in there with gunk and friction, I had to get the son in law to help me remove an XJ40 tank, that was just held in by the stiction of tank to support pads.

…I had to get
the son in law to help me remove an XJ40 tank, that was just held in
by the stiction of tank to support pads.

IIRC, we had someone tell us they had to use a machete to slice through the
foam pad under a tank to get it out.

– Kirbert

I sell xjs parts and I know most of the sellers and none of them cut the rear quarters as its more work than its worth. I sold one side about 10 years ago and it just was not worth the time. One of the largest xjs suppliers told me recently that he tossed some since he had them sitting around for about 20 years. So there you go!

Now you tell me! Just finished, and yes, it’s too much work. Harry Price