Screech noise - fan or belt?

Actually, it has been bothering me. Was it a case of 12 or 24??? I am beginning to believe only 12!! And, we might have stretched the top off a bit further, not insisting on full at each check…

My 37 decided to bust a crank!! Right at the center main!! A friend did some of a rebuild for me. he screwed up!! Cotter pins on the nuts to the main studs. Wire is the right way!!!

I swapped in Roy’s engine. Actually a 46 Mercury. 239 CI the older one, only 221 CI. Smokey when pushed, but ran very well The tale of the Merc in Roy’s family car was another one…

The steel fans can flex and eventually at at the flex line. Jaguar folks have reported that… More forces at work there than we realize!!!

The trip was El Paso to long Beach…Round trip of course…

I do like the Efans in my lump!! PCM controlled…

Carl

1 Like

Aristides,

SI parts catalogue quotes fan C.28176 and clutch RTC 1002 for A/C cars and fan C.25641 and clutch C.28018 for non A/C cars. They look almost identical :frowning:

SII parts catalogue quotes the same fan and clutch combinations for non A/C cars until 7L.88914 and for A/C cars until 7L.85098.

From that point on they were superseded by fan C.39831 and clutch C.45015, but for both A/C and non A/C cars. Again, looking pretty much identical to the earlier combos.

Sorry, I don’t have any data on SIII and 12 cylinder cars.

It looks though as if all fans were pretty much the same in terms of size and blade design until the advent of the plastic fans in the SIII production run. Until then the difference is all about the mating surface for and the mounting of the clutch. Mix and match won’t work, I’m afraid, but if you get a decent set you should be alright.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks Jochen. Yes and unfortunately the two on Ebay you point to do not appear to be what I need (C39831 as you say). First is the prior model (I guess part no C25641 or C28176); second is for SIII V12 so I guess part EBC4553).

Mine takes the four bolt viscount clutch hence NBC2215AA rather than C45015.

Tricky business…

Nick

Nope, resolved!!! Why would I linger on asuch a minor point. Quarantine…

They were cases of 24!!!

Carl

You’re right, Carl,

one of the bigger problems about quarantine: it is very hard for us to “keep going” intellectually if left all alone. Keep the faith and as much connection with your family - and us! - as possible. Can you go out for a ride or to have a meal in a family restaurant or is everything closed down where you live?

Best wishes

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)