Screw on plug wires VS. push on?

Hi everyone,

I have had the antiquated screw on plug wires on my 65 4.2.
Considering switching to a more modern style plug wire.
The present ones have worked well but have aged and ready for replacement.
I installed an electronic distributor body and presently took off the conventional cap to put my screw on style cap in place.

I have only heard that the newer style gives a more uniform spark.
Is there anything else to consider for switching over to push on?
I don’t use the car for shows and drive it regularly for many miles at a time.

Uploading: 6DC2A457-2B0C-4EBB-8435-A73D124670DF.jpeg…

Do you mean ditching the old bowtie screw on plug caps for wires with molded plugs? I changed mine out the first week I had my car. The other benefit is that you can use better suppression core wire rather than stranded copper. I switched to Pertronix wires.

Unfortunately you still have to rely on the screw in caps for the Lucas dist cap unless you upgrade to a newer style distributor, but I haven’t had any issues with those connections.

Yes,
I recently installed a whole new electronic ignition another fellow E owner friend had given me. I removed the old Lucas distributor without too much trouble
I believe it’s Petronix.
It already had the newer style push on style cap so and I already have a sport coil to install.
I found little information online outlining the differences between the screw on style I appreciate your insight.

An interesting topic - with not much chance of resolution. We take our Series I to local, nearly 100% US car shows and a Harley guy indicated that our Harley shop cloth style, solid core wires were not too good in his experience. So there 'ya go, only hear say evidence about a possibly interesting issue.
I think it is true that Petronix don’t like the solid core (maybe the ‘new’ model is OK with them).

With the new models it is mandatory to use suppression core or it will behave very, very badly. The older ones were content with stranded copper.

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the screw-on wires, but, as mentioned, a Pertronix or other modern ignition requires suppression wires, which really aren’t compatible with the non-suppression wire core material.

Must be why it ran like it had a slight miss when I used the old copper core wires w the electronic distributor…
I appreciate it

1 Like

a note on spark plug wire supression: …older points/distributor systems use rather low supression, sometimes zero: with electronic no-points…but not computer-engine management a bit more suppression is ok, but many new wire sets are for todays’ very hi volt electonic/computer systems and can run as hi as 30,000 ohms or more resistance. You don;'t want those., Nick

1 Like

Petronix sells wire with a resisitance of 500 ohms per foot. I assume that’s what they think would work best with their distributors.

https://pertronix.com/sevenmmignitionwires

2 Likes