Screws into timber frame

Quick question on the bootlid frame - apart from the lower rail, I am reusing all the old wood in the bootlid frame (140DHC). I was planning on reusing the same screw holes for all the steel strips (that retain the aluminium skin), but using new stainless steel screws. I have matched the sizes closely and they seem to fit pretty tightly, but I’m aware the timber and screwholes are 60 years old now. Just asking if anyone who has done this has routinely plugged and re-cut the screw holes, or simply reused the old holes if the screws tighten into them OK?

Hello Roger,

I used the existing holes and slightly larger screws.
But I used some wood glue in some of the holes, as they were not very tight.

Regards,
Peter Jan
XK140fhc

If you get a good bite I would do nothing else. If it’s not some slithers of wood down the hole, some PVA and scree it up wet.

I use these for wood screw hole repairs, wood epoxy them in and drill the right size pilot hole. Good as new.

Thanks for the advice chaps. Most are good and firm so I’ll replace in the same positions. I have dowel plugs to use for those that are not so tight. Interestingly, I have bought Imperial sized s/s woodscrews (traditional style, slotted with a plain shank) which all seem to be slightly larger than the originals. This fixes the problem in most cases.