Scruffiest E Type?

LHD is fine. I just want to keep it as original as possible. Also I just cant afford to spend too much money on it! Still has the strombergs, starts. goes. stops. That’ll do. The bonnet is very rippley, but not full of filler. Originally sable. Sprayed black in the states. Badly. Sprayed again by myself nearly as badly. But I love that car ! Looks good in photos. but when you get up close it’s very ratty (but solid) I’m certainly not afraid to use it ! 3 hours from Dover and some lovely french roads. I’ll look into the stromberg fix. Thanks for showing some interest in my scruffy E.

1 Like

I think your paint job is somewhat better.

And that’s really all that matters. It’s yours, enjoy it to suit yourself.

1 Like

I actually like our wheels. They look fine on a series 2. Probably quite rare being an optional extra. Also foolproof !

I say my 67 is “Good from far, but far from good” Every time i take some thing out i know i should not put it back in, but strip the whole car down to bare metal. I guess that’s the next owners job.

1 Like

Wow…owned by a giant, or a giraffe? Those seats!! Or I guess an angel needing a halo rest :rofl::mask:

If the mechanicals are good , then scruffy is almost a bonus - it means you can actually use the car . Once restored to 100 point standard , what can you do with it apart from trailer it to shows ? - drive it ?..nope because of stone chips and the risk of other drivers. Park it anywhere ?..no , because of the risk of theft / vandalism / careless people opening doors too wide.

1 Like

Anybody can load an image of a non running barn (or lake ) find.Here’s my mates 2+2 and my S1 in back ground,both scruffy regular drives,cracked paint,crows feet,etc,etc.but both fast and in excellent mechanical shape,mine is undergoing major performance rebuild now.Look carefuly in the back of the S1 and you can see seedlings from the nursery,potting mix went everywhere on the way home,a week later I was getting the exhaust fixed and called the mechanic to ask could he please keep it under cover out of the rain,he asked if that was to keep all the dirt on the inside or the outside turning to mud.

As for the white car that’s held together by magic,I would set it in a solid block of crystal clear resin get Damien Hirst to sign it and send it to auction.

2 Likes

Yep: had I the money to buy or restore an E Type o 100 points, I’d drive the poo out of it.

IMHO… trailer queens are useless.

1 Like

A story to tell with every one of those nicks on the 2+2. You need to drive the red one even more!

1 Like

I bought this S2 Roadster from Texas and drove it in its ratty unwashed but solid state for the first year. I was persuaded to have it painted and re-trimmed - big mistake - it was far more fun as it was. Now its just another mint E Type that I’m reluctant to take out in the rain.

1 Like

I think I have you beat. This is one I actually owned for a short while. It would not buff out!

5 Likes

Dick, that is impressive. :grin: On the plus side, yours presumably had rebuildable carbs and some usable engine parts. On my acquaintance’s car without a drivetrain, I sort of scratch my head to think how he would get any money out of it by parting it out.

1 Like

Did that come from BaT? It looks familiar. :wink:

Jim

Is Frank still the president of that club? He’s the only contact I had, and he hasn’t answered my emails. I’m on the west side of Illinois, and having attended the show there, and met some great people, I’d rather join there than the Chicago club(s). I thought the show there was cancelled this year? Any information you could give would be appreciated! Thanks.

Jim

It was actually parked in a field and rotted in two. The driveshaft was still connected from the transmission to the diff. More pictures www.georgiajag.com/xke.html XKEDATA listing has it pictured with a for sale price right under $30,000. http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=879398

Well, the cap on the clutch fluid bottle looks to be salvageable. :smile:

Jim-
I’m sort of a nominal member of the QC British Auto Club. I’ll send you a PM to discuss further.
-Scott

If you look at the rear of that car you can actually see the car’s soul finally drifting out and up after suffering so much… :wink: So much for Hemmings’ view that cars are just things.

1 Like

Ah - the highly unique 3/4+1/4 model !!

1 Like