Sealant vs Dressing

Good morning folks,
I am a frequent poster on the E Type list but first time poster here. I have read most of Kirby Palm’s excellent work that applies to the pre HE engine and appreciated it immensely over the years-Thank You Kirby!
Now for my question, I have been getting my 73 2+2 ready for spring driving and one thing lead to another especially after looking at the issues with leakage. The new intake gaskets that I received from my favorite usual are a stamped metal as opposed to the metal/gortex(?) gaskets I had on there before and I’m wondering if they should be ‘dressed’ with Halomar or something similar (Permatex Copper Spray a Gasket?) before installation.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts,
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi,

You shouldn’t use any sealant with new 3-layer gaskets. Just clean and degrease the surfaces and then ,when you think it is clean, clean once more and assemble dry.

Jonas

OK, I’m a bit worried. 12 separate pieces? The V12 as originally introduced came with 12 individual metal intake manifold gaskets, and your car is early enough one could argue those would be the “correct” parts for the car. They didn’t last long, however, with Jaguar quickly going to 12 individual fibrous material gaskets and then later (after Ford took over) to 2 long fibrous gaskets, one per bank.

Is it possible you somehow got ahold of a NOS set of the original metal gaskets? If so, cute – but I don’t think I’d use them on a car that is intended to be driven. I’d be looking for the new 2-piece gaskets. And since your engine is a pre-H.E., I would cut those gaskets into 4 pieces before installing because cutting the webs out between cylinders 3 and 4 on each bank reportedly makes it much easier to get at the spark plugs. You could cut them into 12 pieces if you so choose, it’d make the underhood appearance of the engine closer to original while utilizing the upgraded gasket.

If you insist on using the metal gaskets, I’d install them with Loctite 518 on both sides. Meaning I’d expect them not to seal at all, I’d expect the Loctite 518 to provide a seal as though there were no gaskets at all.

Thanks Jonas, They are just a metal piece with a raised/embossed potion, I’ll try to take a picture and post it.
Thanks for your reply,
Cheers,
Lynn

Thanks Kirbert,
Sounds like I’ll be giving Will at SNG a call, I was hoping that these (the previous ones were probably a gortex/metal gasket) were an upgrade but apparently not.
Appreciate your help,
Cheers,
Lynn

I may the culprit in this as I specified OEM with the number C34063#
Looks like I’ll be placing another order while I’m waiting for the parts from Jonas.
Thanks again for your interest,
Cheers,
Lynn

Here’s the link (and description) to SNG:
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/parts/3af38abb-f5df-4cb0-80b5-bdc388ef2587
Cheers,
Lynn

Ok this is not gortex/metal gasket… Those new type gaskets are 3-layer rubber-metal-rubber. I’m not sure if it is actually rubber, but it looks and feels like it :slight_smile: And Kirbert is right that latest intake gaskets are two thick long fibrous gaskets, and not 3-layer gortex/metal. And they look like this:

I personally assembled them dry and am planing to re-torque them after some time as I think this thick material might settle a bit with heat.

Jonas

I don’t believe Jaguar has ever offered a gortex/metal gasket for the intake manifolds. At the same time the gortex/metal sandwich gaskets were introduced for just about everywhere else on the engine, Jaguar introduced the 2-piece fibrous gaskets for the intake manifolds. They have a weird part number, too, doesn’t look like other Jaguar part numbers.

I dunno whether dry is a good idea or not, but retorquing is essential. Fortunately it’s also easy, as those 24 nuts are right up top.

Thanks ya’ll,
I’ll start looking for the correct gaskets, appreciate your help!
Cheers,
Lynn

+1. When we covered this very topic some time ago, there was some interesting discussion:

Thanks Steve,
I’m not going to use the OEM metal (12) on my 5.3, I’ll be shopping for the later 'gortex/metal type. I’ve ordered the Al. 1/2 moon pieces, obtained the 1/4X20 socket head screws and have the gortex/metal cam cover gaskets. It’s amazing how a fairly quick/simple job has blossomed into a 4 week process :slight_smile: Many thanks to you all for the guidance.
Cheers,
LLynn

The 3/2 rule NEVER gives any wiggle room…:laughing:

1 Like