Sealing "Old Style" Filter Canister on 3.4 Liter Engine + Spin-On Oil Filter Adapter

Im looking into getting one of Rob Beere’s kits …just need to get under the car and check adaptor

http://www.rob-beere-racing.co.uk/spinonapplications.html

About 10 days ago Pat Harmon, within this thread, recommended contacting Bill Bassett. I did and ended up ordering one from him and am now waiting for shipment. Went to Rob Beere Racing site and it appears his spin on kits are for 3.8’s and later.

I’ve never had any trouble with the seals on my XK120, XJ12 and Mark V canisters.
I think the trick is to hold them, not let them rotate as you tighten the bolt.

1 Like

That’s how I tighten them on my Series II E-type. Position it and run the big bolt in a bit and then push the can firmly into position with my left hand, making sure it’s properly located on the O-ring, while I snug up the bolt with my right.

Rob,

I agree. I’ve seen some folks suggest you should rotate the canister as you tighten the bolt, but that seems to be courting disaster to me. Using the right square section seal is also critical, which isn’t helped by the fact that some replacement filters come with two so you have to choose the correct one, and for one manufacturer of the E-Type filter, neither is the correct size.

-David

I buy square section o-rings from McMaster-Carr.
I don’t know the size for E-Type, but for XK120 it is #345 or 4061T321 and for Mark V it is #337 or 4061T313.

Wix filters #51183 for the canister filter comes with the proper size O-ring in the box. Six bucks at Rock Auto.

1 Like

Based on Rob Reilly’s note from about a month ago, I went to McMaster-Carr and ordered 5 each of item 241; the square and x-section O-rings for my oil filter adapter kit. Note the O-rings should be Viton vs. Buna-N as the Viton has a higher temperature range (400F vs. 212F). Initially, I have installed a square type o-ring in my oil filter canister adapter. Also, attached is a photo of the dimensions of the O-ring area in question on my Tecalmit bracket, Cat.# FA2890, with the caveat my dimensions are pretty accurate to + or - .002".

Thanks gents for all the help. I believe now the problem has been effectively solved.

Oil Filter Cannister Square O-ring Dimensions.pdf (505.2 KB)