Search Results Limited to 50?

Am I using an incorrect search setting or are searches limited to 50 returns? I guess there’s a speed issue if the whole database is returned but sometimes a good archive search might require that.

BTW, great job on the new site!

The search is indeed configured to stop at 50 hits and return those. The logic being fairly simple. Imagine you searched for “Jag” and had to wait until the search went through all 1.8 million posts before it showed you the hits.

Basically, if you consistently get 50 hits on your searches it means that you aren’t making them very specific.

I figured. Maybe I have to be more skilled at manipulating the search criteria. I did like the old search function that allowed me to select that data from certain years for example. I see where I can sort the returns by:

but it doesn’t seem possible to dig into the middle of the data for returns from say 2010-2012. Or to return the first posts as opposed to the latest posts. If I wanted to spend a day and read everything related to this search:

is there a way to do that? Or maybe read the first 50 returns that might have information of interest?

Not complaining! Just seems a shame to not be able to access large parts of the data.

Click on “options” below the search bar, you can search for before or after a certain date and a few other things, including posts from specific users.

EDIT: The search is one of the things in discourse which I think could do with some improvement. “Only show posts which include a photo” would be one useful feature.

I forgot about that! That will help some and all will get better with time.

Thanks Andrew.