Seat upholstery

Quick question. I’m about to install the new seat bottom cover on my '69. The old bottom was held in place with a ton of metal: maybe 100 staples, and these were supplemented by a full box of carpet tacks. I know this seat bottom wasn’t original, and it doesn’t seem right to use so many fasteners. But it certainly held together well. So is the right answer staples, tacks, or a combination? Do I really need to apply them to every visible bit of the tack bar?

1 Like

Upholstery staples are all that is needed.
There are a few tasks that are used on the seat back as a finishing touch.

My old 2+2 and the FHC I now have only had staples around the perimeter into the tack strip. The two pictures below show the spacing I used and one way to create some slack in the covering so it would be easier to staple. I this case I was reinstalling the original seat cover over new foam so the cover edges were already properly trimmed. You want enough staples so there is an even strain on the material.

The staples I used were more robust than what the factory used.

Using clamps and a sheet of plywood to compress the new foam to create some slack in the side pieces to allow for easy stapling.

The seat on my 69 FHC only had closely spaced staples, when I removed it to repair the front mounting brackets.

IMG_0890

Andy

Thanks. It didn’t make much sense. I spent half the night pulling out fasteners. If I had wanted to install one more staple or tack, couldn’t do it.

Was there glue used anywhere? My cover had been glued to the “well” of the seat. Luckily, the glue wasn’t top quality, it peeled off the foam.

Just glue as you’ve noted, especially in the front "corners of the center section. Be sure to note the locations and configuration of any additional wadding that was used to fill out the seat cover.

Hi…i have a series of about 50 photos of how to correctly fit E type seat covers produced by BAS trimmers in the UK…quite a few on the forum have had the photos from me…im supprised no one has mentioned it…if you want them then pm me your email address. …there are to many to post here…all the best…Steve

Hi All…had plenty of requests for the photos and sent them to quite a few members…please share them around if you have them…All the best…Steve

Thanks Steve, that was a big help.

Hi Steve,
Please send me the pics of the seat trim you mention.
Thanks. Roger

The ones I posted in the article linked below are probably the same or similar. They came from BAS US.