Securing 120 in a trailer

My brother-in-law has a 20 foot enclosed car hauling trailer. Does anyone have some suggestions on the best way to tie down a 120 in a trailer?
Thanks! Mark

Use large ratchet straps, and secure in an “X” pattern.

Seen from rear of car: attach ratchet end to a secure attaching point on trailer, left side, running across rear axle, to its right side, hooked to the frame, or axle using an axle strap. Mirror image that on the other side rear, and same in front.

Ratchet down TIGHTLY, then recheck after first mile, then five, then 10.

Tighten as needed and if done properly, will not come loose.

Here is how mine was " professionally "tied down

My trailer doesn’t have the middle Tings to use tire “halter” as shown in the pick. My tie down rings are just to the front of the nose and rear of the back. So, using a sleeve to protect the strap I loop over the rear leaf spring, back near the aft shackle. I’ve used doubles up cardboard rather than a strap sleeve in a pinch. I’ve also done a modified cross-cross when the two ends of each rear strap go left/right side tie down rings. Not as good as a full crisscross at resisting lateral motion but better at preventing for-aft movement. I’ve never had a problem with these approaches. But always stop after 10-15 min and tighten up the straps as the car can shift slightly in the beginning.

Interesting technique of looping the tyres: I’ll hafta store that in my brainium!

That’s great, thanks for all the tips!
Mark

In the course of our restoration business we have hauled cars in excess of 100,000 miles over the last 40 years. We never cross straps. If your straps are attached in an X configuration and one of them loosens the remaining strap will pull the car to the side of the trailer and possibly into the wheel well of the trailer. We have never had a strap loosen on a car move. 4 straps, one at each corner and check them when you make your regular stops for fuel. Pull those ratchets as tight as you physically can. Remind me to tell the story of the 150S Roadster we sold in 1976. The buyer secured it to his too short trailer with bungee cords. Nothing else, just bungees. He made it 300 miles home without incident.

Likewise, after a career of hauling ___________(fill in the blank), for many tens of thousand miles, not ever once did I have ax x-strap come loose.