Security measures

I do this routinely. I also have 123 ignition on two of our cars - if they happen to bring the original rotor they’re still stymied. Paul.

ignition cut off switch hidden, and fuel pump switch-hidden…which is good to have anyway, audible alarm, and a window sticker that says it has a GPS tracker…whether it does or does not…and a steering lock bar…main thing is visible deterrence so they will pick an easier target. Nick

Hello Mark, thanks for the interesting question and to all for the ideas. It seems to me the first element of theft deterrent for your car is that it is a vintage car. No vintage car model is anywhere near the top ten stolen cars. Yet, how low is the actual theft rate for cars from the 60’s and older? I’ve heard of individual vintage car theft stories and wonder how to quantify the risk.

Yes, I see your point. I wonder if statistics can skew things depending on how you look at them though. Though no single brand of classic car heads the most stolen list, this could be because of their rarity in the first place. If all the Daytona’s ever made for the UK were stolen, they still wouldn’t appear on the list (probably, I just made that up).
However, as you suggest, it’s a different kind of crime, more targeted and less opportunistic. In the end, value and usefulness are the only things most thieves are concerned with, and they will go to greater lengths for a bigger prize. That means my Mk2, despite being better than some, remains fairly safe simply because it’s never going to be worth that much, comparatively.
You hear these tragic stories of people losing their pride and joy, from a driveway or hotel car park and they are often more run of the mill cars like mine, presumably because you wouldn’t leave a true exotic on the driveway.
I think all you can do is deter… a steering wheel lock is no deterrent apparently, a good thief can dispose of that quickly, parts missing from the engine? Gets your hands dirty just before going into the restaurant! I think I’ll settle for a tracker with a warning sticker on the window and an ignition cut-out, which I already have anyway as it’s good fire prevention whilst sitting in the garage. A fuel pump switch may be another addition soon.

1 Like

Hello Mark, not that I have a MK 2 Saloon car, but I find sometimes the simplest solution is the best. The only problem with my security system is let’s say a squirrel was to run by!

1 Like

Gorgeous Dobermann!! My favorite pups!

I have the miniature version…

Thank you Paul, he’s a real character and an awesome family member. My wife and daughter love him to death.

1 Like