Self tapping screws

Greetings.
Does anyone have a description for self tapping screws Jaguar part numbers BD.540/1 thru /9.
Regards, Jordy.

The screws holding the wood tacking fillet pieces around the sunvisor tray on Mark V saloon are BD.540/2 which are #8 x 7/8" long slotted flat head sheet metal screws.
They are a straight full length thread, not a tapered wood screw.

Looking through the Mark V parts book Body section at other uses of various BD.540 screws, I am inclined to think they are all slotted flat head sheet metal screws of various lengths and diameters.

Slotted flat head screws in the small sizes don’t seem to be very popular any more. All I could find was Phillips flat heads.

Jordy

Where in the car are you referrng to. Presumably on your SS saloon .

The Bailey channel is held with countersunk # 4 self tappers. AS they aren’t seen phillips head wouldn’t matter These are short , about 1/2 " from memory Stainless would be preferred.
The tacking strips are held with the same screws but some are longer , Ideally have a selection on hand

The boot panels are held with cheese head # 4 self tappers like wise stainless is better
The visible screws in the door window surrounds are# 4 countersunk Instrument head ,/ raided head / ovel head depending which school you went to. straight slot . These have the small v profile washer under them . and both of these are available .
The door capping are held to the door frame by c/sunk either 6 or 8 gauge , ]memory fails me here] and long enough to go through the piece of wood concerned , Not seen , so straight or Phillips slot wouldn’t matter.

Trim screws such as hold the door catches etc are 2 BA and are available from Adelaide. It isn’t wise to try and re=plate the self tappers. They can become brittle and if one breaks off in the door window surround it will be impossible to get it out without damaging the wood… which is why stainless is a safer bet.

Hi,

True, but I think I found some sizes from Spalding Fasteners (UK) and British Fasteners (USA) in stainless steel. And in places where it can not be seen I have used philips or pozi headed self tapping screws or qood screws, the DHC has many more than a Saloon I think as there is more wood in the body structure, like doors. I’m not a purist you know. :wink:

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 647194
Fin.

Classic Fasteners in Adelaide have all these

C/sunk , straight slot, raised head in wood screws and self tappers.

As usual , best to buy from Australia : >)

Thanks Gents for the replies.