Sequential photos of engine install from underneath

I know this has been covered before but I thought I’d share some specific notes:

1. You MUST have a load leveler on hand!
  2. Its useful to remove the tach generator
  3. the water pump pulley is a tight fit! the load leveler really helps there
  4. I would leave the clutch slave bracket/pipe loose so it can float around the torsion bar mount
4 Likes

Great photos, and very nice engine bay detail.

Your uncovered plug holes tell me you’ve never spent anxious minutes fishing a loose stainless nut (non magnetic!) from a cylinder before. :fearful:

1 Like

How far apart are your MaxJack posts, btw? I need to move mine closer together to allow reaching the correct pickup points for the E type.

I saw the installed oil filter in the first photo and knew you’d have to remove it to clear the lower frame rail. And you did:

:thinking:

I used my MaxJax the same way but did not have to use a load leveler for my install for some reason.

The rigging isn’t ideal but WAY over sized… :rofl:

Hmmmm sparkly – definitely very sparkly :sparkles:

1 Like

If you have the engine on a taller trolley you won’t need the engine crane at all. You need the sump abput 12" off the ground.

No worries Steve - the plugs are back in lol

Doug I thought I could get away without the load leveler too but it just made it easier for me to finish the job solo…

Hi RonS1,
Very good pictorial. Thanks for sharing it.
I plan on doing the same thing, installing the engine from below, but I don’t understand the reason for keeping the chains and load level attached to the the engine after the engine is in place. I mean, the intake and carbs are on the engine already.
Thanks again for posting the sequential photos.
Bill.

Bill the hoist support was left in place so that i could tighten engine mounts with the load lightly taken off the engine…

I moved the “Mountain to Muhamed”, as the whole body was on a movable rack as well as the engine. The cardboard was from wooden door shipping boxes, which fit perfectly. I’m an advocate of side supports for the engine to steady it and bored out the plywood to clear any bolts, etc. on the dollies or oil pan rail so everything sat flush. Wife is an experienced helper with an eye for problems, and can guide with sense and detail attention. Since this is a 3.8, there are no lift lugs, so good straps used. It may be noted that you only need to lift the engine once it is mostly in place, so as to put the mounts on, as you lower the body, rather than lift the engine. Obvious, but sometimes obvious issues need stating for first time users.

3 Likes

Steve - please PM me and Ill measure the width of the Max Jax base for you next time Im in the shop.

Steve, the Max Jax support feet are 6 feet 9 inches apart from the inside edge of each base plate

1 Like