Series 1 2+2 windshield replacement

Hello all. I have Series 1 1966 2+2 1E76335 body #4E51588. I have a gentleman that believes he has a source for new windshield. Im wondering what # car did they change the windshield angle at the front ? I remember reading awhile back how much trouble owners were having sourcing the correct windscreen. Is this now been worked out , the glass people now getting them to fit correctly? Its under 500 not including shipping which seems a good price, if it fits. :slight_smile: . anyway of knowing other than taking old one out and looking at them side by side?

IIRC it was the start of Series II 2+2 production.

I also have a Series 1 2+2, mine is 1E75693. I do have two loose windshields, I also need a new one. I can measure both of mine if that helps ?

The change to the less - steep windshield was indeed the start of the S2.

Carsten (Germany)

Our cars are very close , I do not know who is making this windshield. I asked for more information before ordering. Is it the series 2 2+2 cars that have trouble obtaining a correct fit? They say they will take it back if its wrong… How would one measure? Maximum Height and Maximum width on the face of the glass, and edge to edge straight across the inside? I dont know. Thank you for offering to help. do you intend to order a new one somewhere?

Isn’t Pilkington making these, pretty sure that’s where mine came from.

You are correct. I saved a copy of it.

1 Like

Ok, I‘ll measure both of mine soon, and post the values here.

Only question is the value of E - would it include the glass thickness or not ? I think not.

Carsten

Based on the drawing…NOT.

I certainly appreciate the response to my question. Having the values of those two cars measure will be excellent data to have for the series 1 pre change cars. thank you

just for the record the XKE data link has photos of my car before I purchased it, lots of work since then, i should post current status soon having just returned from new paint job. it was NOT rotted out as stated below the rear quarters, he never looked . mostly minimal rust but lots of horrible body work had been done

sorry but i have not seen the dimensions posted, did i miss them?

I did not find the time either. No free time at the moment, sadly.

But I´ll go and measure as soon as I can. It´s not forgotten.

Carsten

Carsten,

Not a problem at all, My mail has PC has been really not performing as it should and I was afraid I had missed it. Whenever you can will be just fine with me.

Steven Phelps

No hurry please, I‘ve been 10 years on this car. days are insignificant amounts of time.

Smile

Regards,

Steven

Thanks Jerry.

Steven Phelps

self employed contractor 40 years, retired now for 10 but still building!
CBC 037859

Certified Building Contractor

State of Florida

My apology to the forum and the group, I mistakenly thought these were private messages as they came into my e-mail box. instructions to just reply OR go to the forum. this is new format i guess, i will learn. sorry.

Jerry, writing down the values I find D or C must be wrong, they cant both be 19+ ??? can they?

…above image was sent to me by Pilkington. They do offer S 1 2+2 windshields.

I still did not have the time to measure mine, sadly.

Oh, and could we please use metric values… ?

Carsten

The very latest Pilkington Classic glass product list is available to download below. It includes all the tint options and you can have heated or radio aerial embedded in the screen. The only glass not currently available is the S1/2/3 2+2 door glass (FHC and OTS) and rear quarter lights but we are working on that. They also have the rear hatch screen for the pre May 1962 FHC’s before the bodywork was redesigned (#A3207 CL).

Contact them directly for price, options and availability in your region:
Nick Gardiner
Commercial Manager Pilkington Classics
+441527505287
+447969087514
Nick.gardiner@NSG.Com

“…pre May 1962 FHC’s before the bodywork was redesigned …”

Pre May 1962?..is that a typo?

Well spotted Les! It should read June 1962.

In June 1962 FHC production stopped as Jaguar undertook a major revision of components and body. Many parts changed from cars #860479/886013 onwards which can make restoration of earlier FHC’s very challenging as reproductions are hard to find and later parts are not interchangeable. The parts changed included, but not limited to:

#BD19543 - Boot lid assembly
#BD19362 - Glass in Boot Lid
#BD20158 - Chrome finisher on rubber seal
#BD20500 - Sealing rubber around Boot Lid aperture
#BD22754 - Casing on r/h boot lid side
#BD22755 - Casing on l/h boot lid side
#BD20165 - Casing assembly on lower boot lid
#BD20682 - Striker and safety catch assembly
#BD21279 - Prop, supporting boot lid in open position
#BD21289 - Pivot bracket for prop
#BD21281 - Bracket receiving prop
#BD20501 - Chrome finisher on r/h roof gutter
#BD20502 - Chrome finisher on l/h roof gutter
#BD22462 - Glass assembly for r/h quarter light
#BD22463 - Glass assembly for l/h quarter light
#BD20367 - Hinge pillar assembly for r/h quarter light
#BD20368 - Hinge pillar assembly for l/h quarter light
#BD21127 - Catch assembly operating r/h quarter light
#BD21128 - Catch assembly operating l/h quarter light
#BD20500/2 - Sealing rubber on cantrails
#BD21577 - Facing assembly (headlining) on r/h cantrail and rear trim panel
#BD21578 - Facing assembly (headlining) on l/h cantrail and rear trim panel
#BD20860 - Headlining
#BD21078 - Panel assembly for trimming windscreen header rail
#BD20191 - crash padding on r/h cantrail
#BD20192 - crash padding on l/h cantrail
#BD20751 - R/h door assembly, complete
#BD20752 - L/h door assembly, complete
#BD20511 - Frame assembly, for window in r/h door
#BD20512 - Frame assembly, for window in l/h door

And not forgetting:
#BD20748 - Body Shell assembly, complete - replacing the original body shell #BD19350. Other changes, not documented, included a different shape windscreen and stop/tail light chrome assemblies. Parts bulletin P60 (6 pages!) and Q43 (2 pages) refer:

David

2 Likes