Series 1 Daimler Vanden Plas Door Mirrors

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,
I want to purchase a LHS Door mirror for my Series 1 Double Six VDP (1973). I have the RHS one fitted which has a ‘joy stick’ remote control on the inside of the door. Does anyone have a part number or know of a source for this apparently hard to find part?
For clarification my mirror is a large chrome dome with mirror free moving inside the dome.
Whilst I am at it if anyone knows the correct Part number for the wing mirrors i.e. front guard mirrors I would be very grateful.
Kind regards,
Chris

Hi, I recently bought new mirrors of that type for my DD6 VDP -74. SNG Baratt have them in both left and right with wire control. They can be angeled for rhd/lhd. I am really pleased with the quality of them.
Br Svante

1 Like

Hi Chris,

door mirrors on SI cars are exciting - Australia was one of the few countries where they were foreseen ex factory, part no. C.30827, but only for right hand.

However, it seems that for SI cars there was no “joystick” remote control available.

Maybe the one you’ve got was retrofitted from a later car. It may help to check out the catalogues for SII and SIII cars.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Jochen, In the US market, my 71 S1 SWB XJ6 had a single door mirror as shown in the Daimler parts book you posted. But my 73 XJ6 SWB had the oval mirror with a remote mechanical cable and joystick–as sought by Christopher. I fitted the matching RH (passenger side here) mirror, which I was able to source because these mirrors were by then standard on the S2 LWB cars. My 73 also came with the S2 bootlid plinth.

Like S3 (electric) mirrors, these remote cable-driven mirrors were also used on some American cars–Jeep for example. I can’t remember if the driver’s and passenger side have a different orientation of the “stalk” but the S3 versions certainly do. IOW the right mirror would be different for LHD than for RHD–as is true for S3.

I still have my 73, but I replaced the S2 mirrors with S3 because they are larger (better for my “senior” vision) and because the passenger side is convex, making it more useful IMO. Actually XJS because their mounting angle better matches the S1/2 bodywork.

Fun fact: the chrome cast bezels that hold the joysticks on the door card (single mechanical joystick on S2; double electric joystick on S3) are identical. A given bezel will accept either an electric or a mechanical joystick–both have the same diameter.

The series1 Vanden Plas seems to have been equipped with the remote controlled bullet mirror at least on the drivers side. I found a sales brochure picture where it can be seen.
The mirror is ordered with either flat or convex glass.
Br Svante

As I said - it is always surprising what people have done to suit the cars to their needs. The parts no. I posted for the Australia RH mirror yields a completely different mirror https://mossmotors.com/door-mirror-r-h. C.28517 given for most LH countries again yields a manual “slim” mirror http://eddyalexander.com/797941-Door-Mirror-Left-Hand-C-New-Motors.htm.

So I guess that for countries without factory equipment like the US it was up to customers tastes and dealers expectations to decide.

Best wishes

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Good morning Gentlemen,
Thank you very much for your extremely informative, useful, and knowledgeable responses. I will try and keep this topic open, and provide feedback upon receipt and fitting of the LHS mirror and wing mirrors. Truly a very rewarding experience, on this site.
Kind regards,
Chris

Received LHS convex mirror in good order and condition ex SNG Barrat UK. As anticipated the mirror and chrome finish is so good that it makes my bumpers and other chrome work look rather ordinary! We have a classic car chrome shop here in the Newcastle region, so some money to be spent on cosmetics. I am now looking for the internal door bezel to mount the mirror adjustment stalk.