Series 1 Fog Lamp mounts

Sorry to preempt, RustFree. Just can’t wait for dimensions. I agree that it should be easy to modify the mount.

I’d been wondering about the two varieties of square 8 lights. Thanks for the explanation.

No problem at all my friend - it’s unusual that I would be on this early… Winter storm Benji is making it too cold to play in the garage and I gotta get my motor together!

I’m pretty excited to get those dimensions too :slight_smile:

mike send me your address ill send them on no worries glad to help. ill pay for shipping there you pay send them back cheers

Okay - I’ll message it to you.

Thanks!!!
~Mike

on there way rustfreemike USPS should be there Wednesday let me know when you get it…

Thank you! I will.

~Mike

The Mount got here already! Gonna start working on it ASAP.

Thanks again and I’ll let you know when I’m gonna send it back (soon).

BTW how much insurance did you put on it so I can do the same.

~Mike

There’s a chance my spare is what you need. I’m certainly never going to need it. So if you know how to ID the part and can afford shipping drop me a line off list.

rustfreemike no insurance its included USPS. Take your time no worries not needing it. so next year some time is ok.

Hi Bob, Mr. Sawyer and Everyone - Happy New Year!

I’m finished drawing up the elusive Series 1 XJ6/12 Left Side Fog Lamp Mount. Right side is a mirror image of the left. I think you’ll find the drawing pretty complete including notes and measurements. The part itself is not high-precision so none of it really has to be dead on when making a reproduction.

Enjoy!

Sawer - the mount’s coming back tomorrow. Thanks again!

~Mike
72 XJ6 (x2)
73 XJ6
85 XJ6
84 XJS

Thanks! And Happy New Year to you, Mike.

Wow–those drawings were a lot of work, and I must admit I am a bit intimidated. Those are far more complicated than I thought.

Did you put your borrowed one into a horn grille opening? I’m wondering if the mounting tab winds up being horizontal, and if it winds up being centred left-right in the grille opening. Those factors would indicate what I’m going for.

Also,does the final bend of the tab occur within the elongated hole? That seems odd.

Looks like it’s actual size if I print it on legal paper? Need to get a few sheets of it. Again, many thanks for your effort. Let us know when yours are fitted.

Hi Bob, yeah… it was alot of measuring :slight_smile:

I did put the borrowed one into the opening - there is tons of room to move it around but that stainless steel plate that hides the guts of it kind of dictates where it goes. I have an original plate set on it’s way here but it looks like the plate’s holes are centered which forces the mount to be centered.

The final bend at the end of the tongue is not as pronounced as it looks on paper because of the thickness of the material. It’s sort of a little scoop upward at the end and the hole is part of it. It may be a way to aim it up or down a little. I took a bit of a liberty with the drawing of that bend at the end just to show where it starts to bend and put a number on the angle. I should note that as well on the drawing.

It is on legal paper size so if you print at 100% it should be good for using as a guide.

I’m working on prototyping it as one piece so it can be bent in a CNC bender. So the tongue would be the same material as the rest. Like we were saying, 3/16" is probably way overkill. I should be done with that tomorrow or the next day. I think I’m gonna forgo the weld-nuts and just tap the holes for positioning easily. That won’t be enough thread for final assembly but once positioned, just put a nyloc nut over that bolt and that should hold it no problem.

~Mike

Mike !!! Great job on the drawings I’m quite impressed with the results, professionally done! :beer:

Thank you sir! Coming back to you tomorrow or Wednesday… It’s supposed to be super cold tomorrow and I may not be able to get my GF to go to the Post Office :slight_smile:

mike no worries I’m not in any hurry to get it back so when it works for you cheers

Silly question. I have just bought a set of these for my series 1 xj6. I’ve taken out the little grills but do I then need to drill holes in the bonnet to bolt the brackets on?
image image

Yes. Use the chrome insert cover plate to find the location. You can also drill the holes slightly bigger to give you some adjustment/wiggle-room. You’ll also have to find a way to get the power wire through. Originally, in all the cars I’ve seen installed by Jag (lotta Daimlers had fogs too), they come through the sheet metal of the bonnet itself with a grommet. I didn’t want to do that so I drilled and grommeted the cover plate.

Thanks. I will look into it this weekend. I now realise that I have the wrong lights too. I will still try to make them work.

John-Henry,

no silly questions here … as per the parts catalogue SI cars originally came with Lucas Square 8 additional lights and in the home market in a weird setup with one driving light and one fog light. Is that the ones you’ve got? From the parts catalogue it appears they came with brackets fitted into the holes cleared by the horn grilles:

With a different set of fog lights I’m afraid you’ll have to make up some sort of bracket.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Long range spotlights and low wide close-range fogs do different jobs. It was normal to use one of each when fitting extras in the UK. The fogs usually had yellow bulbs like French headlights.