Series 1 map light

The original map light on my '64 OTS was missing when I bought the car. I have a new map light now, but have no idea how to attach it. If someone has a picture I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Al

This is an orig on my 62 OTS. There is a rivet under the bulb too

Don’t forget the insulator under it or you’ll let all the smoke out.

1 Like

Ha! I thought about finding a lower wattage 12v bulb that would fit. Haven’t found one yet.
Regards,
Al

Erica_Moss
June 16

Don’t forget the insulator under it or you’ll let all the smoke out.

Hmm. Here is a picture of the one I bought from Terry’s/Engel Imports
In your picture it looks like there is a metal tab that is part of the dash cover. My replacement dash cover doesn’t have that.

Did they sell me the wrong one?

Thanks,
Al

I put an LED bulb there. For the map light just above the gauges.

That looks more like the piece that goes in the interior light on a FHC, the one right in front of the top of the rear hatch.

Yep. Doesn’t look like the right part.

Yes they did. C.15486 is the part you need.

That helps. I’ll order again. I’m still not sure what to attach it to. I know rivets were mentioned here, but there is nothing solid in my dash cover to rivet it to. I bought the dash top 30 years ago and never unwrapped it. Three children interrupted my first attempt at restoration! Should there be a piece of metal in the dash top?

Thanks all,
Al

I replaced mine with a low profile lamp that tales a 12V2CP wedge bulb, attached using two small screws after applying a strip of aluminum duct tape to serve as a reflector. Very effective, and direct replacement LED bulbs are an option. Not “original” of course, but out of view … this is the first time I’ve seen it (actually, it’s the camera that’s seen it) in years.

Your new foam/vinyl “top” goes on your original metal dash “bottom”. You strip the old foam top off and attach the new one to the original metal bottom that the car brackets screw to. All those under dash pictures in posts above show the plated metal bottom part of the dash. The new top has loose vinyl all around it that wraps under to glue onto the metal.

This one is the same as mine. It’s a jerry built POS, buts it’s my original POS.

it is indeed that part. Same as mine.

1 Like

That makes sense. I thought there must be something more substantial than just this foam. I need to search for the metal “bottom”. Thanks so much for the info!

Al

Thanks - I’m trying to find a part number for the metal panel right now.

Regards,
Al

1 Like

This will show you what you’re after. I have not reviewed the videos for technique, just to give you an idea.

I think this will get you there. Hope so.

I didn’t realize that John made a video of recovering the dash top - this will be very helpful. Since my dash top was missing when I bought the car, I’m going to have to find one from a parts car because (according to SNG Barratt) no one makes the metal part of the cover. I believe they were aluminum. If anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

Thanks,
Al

I believe they look aluminum but are a plated steel. Probably cadmium. Whereas my under dash trim pieces are aluminum…