Series 1 or 2 windshield install query

The S3 are mongrel, the screen needs cutting out (breaking it usually), any damage to the flange repaired to avoid rust, new screen urethaned in

failure to attend rust in the flange makes it ultimately very difficult to repair

my screen guy is coming over this arvo to check a job for me.
He scoffed at what the Glass companies told & quoted me

I completely trust him on auto glass, its very re-assuring to find a 30yr veteran

Being a S3, Aristides; the sealant is applied to the body - and the screen the fitted to the sealant. Imperfect application of the sealant may leave gaps - and the screen would leak from delivery…

So, in theory; the leak may be (unusually) between the glass/sealant, the sealant/paint or the paint/body metal. As there is no way of telling if the leak is caused by paint lifting, allowing water ingress and serious rusting over time - the best option is screen removal ad resealing. Applying extra sealant may stop the leak, but not the rusting…:slight_smile:

This screen sealing solution is fairly standard and can be easily handled by a auto glass shop - DIY is also possible but is a two man job to keep the screen intact…

However, make absolutely sure that the leak is indeed from the screen. A wet cabin can result from clogged ‘duckbills’ at the air intake, overflowing AC water ‘tray’ or indeed missing ‘bungs’ in the footwells.

it’s an uphill battle sealing leaks if the leak cause and location is unknown…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thank you all for your replies.
Pretty sure it’s the screen leaking… unfortunately…
Car needs a paint job, so will wait till that time comes.
I guess will have to remove both screens, the back is not glued straight…very dodgy Jaguar dealership work…

Aristides