Series 1 S1 XJ6 relay beside brake reservoir and coil?

Hello again

What is the relay at the bulkhead, near the brake reservoir?

I believe it is that same common (expensive) British type as the starter relay near the center, behind cam (intake side) nearer the battery…

It’s shot, but these can often be rebuilt and cleaned up…

Also what is the (same) relay near the coil ballast resistor within engine bay…?

I thought I read "“horn” somewhere…

Many thanks in advance!!!

There is a high speed fan relay on the 73. The other two speeds are provided without relays via resistors located in the heater/AC plenum (under the dashpad).

The relay near the coil is the horn relay.

It sounds like the ballast ignition system, Demian…?

On mechanical points systems it switches to the coil resistor in ‘crank’ - and bypasses it in ‘run’. If the ignition system has been changed to the CE, or similar electronic ignition systems - it is redundant. It may also be the relay used in conjunction with the earliest alternators - redundant with other alternators…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thank you very much…
Hmm…never knew of high speed fan relay …

May be why fans not working…

Demian

If you need fans, I have a whole box of fans and squirrel cages for your car (cheap - shipping only)… or you can convert them to newer faster GM fans. Relay is still required and you need to make sure the two white ceramic relays on the firewall or the PCB on top of the evaporator under the glove box is still there and functional. Depends on when your car was built.

Excuse me, been away from this for a bit…

Thank you very much Roger for your kindness…

I went out today to look at it all as I need to replace all hoses and water pump…to begin…upon flushing it all out and noticing crunching of the hoses when squeeze…sigh.
Poor thing…

I’ve gone through the fuels system, running from a gas can now as tnaks must be dropped and cleaned out.rebuilt carbs, cleaned it all up, plugged air pump holes, new plugs, wires, cap, coil…

Other than the motor it is all really in super solid, wonderful shape…not including PAINT…which is horrible. …time warp otherwise…

BUT the dumb PO did a half a$$ job on the motor…such an idiot.
And you know, if they simply put a car cover on the cars it would make a world of difference in terms of preservation! how can oners car so little about their investment, much less such an important bit of history is beyond me!?

Rant over…

Considered with prices as they are these days I may just sell it and save a bit for one in better shape already, BUT as we know, and as we Jagnuts are, I am a perfectionist and would replace and take it down anyway as I never trust anyone before me.
And these cars are so hard to find in decent, non bastardized condition.
…yeah, I’m keeping it I’ve decided…

I’ve made the mistake of selling past Jaguars I should have held onto…not this one!
My god, I traded my Mk2 for a S3 XJ6 back in the day…sigh.

Anyway, looking in and around everything today, under dash, etc…hoping to find some secrets from the past… I DID in fact notice the white PCB thing I believe you are talking about.

I do need a new main relay…that metal one beside brake reservoir cannot be rebuilt…
I do not have the 2 ceramic ones you are talking about.

…and I recall no evaporator beneath the dash on passenger side? Will look again.
I have NO A/C stuff on my car. nada…

But you have a SBC conversion, no? Were they original these white relays?

Other than the starter, horn, and this dead one on firewall beside brake reservoir I have no relays within engine bay.

I will remember your offer on the fans…we shall see. They look good…but…
Do the GM fans look somewhat original?
Ah heck…that is the least of my concern at the moment honestly…

Demian

The white resistors on the firewall are for the earlier cars, 69-71… you have PCB board… but with NO AC I am not sure where they mounted it? It sat on top of the evaporator under

the dash on my '72 Jag. It is hidden behind the radio and center console… you can see it if you take out the radio.

GM fans look like the Jag fans, just a little larger OD… am having computer problems today… blinking the screen and causing problems… will try to post a photo of the GM fan?

Sounds like pulling the radiator for a flush or replacement and new hoses will help. The fan relay can be replaced with a normal relay or a new one obtained from the many

parts suppliers…

Dropping the gas tanks is fun… the hardest part is getting the fuel filler caps off without ruining the tops of the rear fenders… lots of rust remover around the necks and

then twisting and turning… the caps comes off by removing the roll pin… then REPLACE the fuel cap hoses while you have them out… all the rubber hoses that go to the

gas tanks… you can use new Spectra tanks for a S1/S2 and keep your old caps… if you go upward to S3 tanks you will need the new taller S3 caps. I have done the tanks several

times now… nice to have all new stuff there…

Roger Mabry

Thanks a lot for all the thoughts and info.

Fortunately the body is perfect, zero rust or corrosion of any sort.
Can reuse old tanks, but they need to be cleaned sealed, senders restored and absolutely all rubber replaced.

And i want to seal and paint the inside of those panels everywhere with por15 while apart.

Will look again re. Pcb board…

I feel for u with the computer problems… I know how frustrating it is. Spent all weekend trying to get W7 to install drivers…such a waste of time.

PC is fixed now… started with computers in 65 and have had a consulting company since 77…just needed coffee first!

PC board only important with AC…adds fourth fan speed. Senders for S1 tanks hard to find, adapting others lots of fun…

Have you tried the wipers yet??? Another fun place to visit.

I have many hundreds of hours in mine now and many $$$$… Have taken everything apart you can get off…plus some you should not…

Roger Mabry

Hah…lucky you…
I hate having to become a computer programmer in a day to resolve issues…

You know, people talk about spending so much $$ restoring Jaguars, but I never got it. I never have…
I do all myself, and parts availability, especially since the internet, is just extraordinary…and these parts are so cheap, most interchangeable with the S3 XJ6, etc.

I mean I can get a new water pump for $100, a new radiator for $130, a complete hose set for $50, an alternator for $80, a reman. steering rack for $180, a pair of rotors for $75, new elect. distributor set for $99, new black dash pad for $100, etc…SHIPPED…you name it.

I remember loving those catalogs from Welsh and XKs Unlimited, etc. growing up…but they were always far too pricey. NEVER considered them before.

Yet now, returning to all this stuff, wow, they are often more reasonable than e b a y?!

Anyway, yes, you know…it is so endearing, and really is one of those thing abou these cars that dig into your heart or guts…

My car has been sitting for some time in a hot, dry, garage…covered in dust…but very well preserved really…again, pity people don’t use car covers, especailly while sitting outdoors, reduces interior temps significantyl, protects paint, etc…

ANYWAY…jsut for grins thought I’d try the cigarette lighter, not imagining it would work…and it did…

…at first no interior lights at b pillars, then a couple flicks of the button at door hinge they both come to life…

…at first no lights or blinkers…fiddling a bit they suddenly come to life…

…and the wipers, for grins thought I’d try…and yep…they work…haha…grudgingly. As if awakening for the first time in years…

So endearing…sigh. damn things.
Mine even has the original window decals…the rotted tires it arrived with (SOB P/Owner!) were from a company that went out of business I discovered in the early 80s and possibly original!?

Final request, if anyone knows, is the relay beside the brake fluid reservoir the same as that common 6RA C1 C2 W1 W2 relay? That little damn thing it seems I can’t get a break on as $50USD seems to be the norm.

I need to take it out and see, but it would save time so I can order all at once now :

http://www.welshent.com/product_info.php?sku=33209&name=6RA_Relay_-Horn/_A/C_Override&cPath=439_455_460

Many thanks…
Regardless, take care Roger and thanks.

I have a generic relay for my heater fans… cost is about $8.00 on Ebay model 610T

My fan relay is still a stock Jaguar metal can type… still works so it stays on.

$$$$ happen when you get to new engines, transmissions, paint, body work and
upholstery… I do all myself but the paint/body work and upholstery.

Upholstery on older models no doubt…anyone considering a series 2 or older car better be aware of that…

A s3 xj is easy to source parts cars, others not so much.
And rust bodywork, sure…a fine paintjob these days, sure…it can be crazy, but i never cared much about paint…otherwise, everything can be found so cheap with patience, parts cars even…and those in the know are aware of interchange with other models, marques such as Triumph, gm and bosch parts on others, etc.

The v12 was more expensive merely bcs there was double everything…gas mileage wasn’t too bad on both of my xjs cars.

From old articles i have read it seems jaguar owners always fell into 2 categories…us nut enthusiasts and those as today, buying new(er) cars who did nothing themselves and complained how expensive they were to maintain going to or buying parts through jaguar or a garage, etc…

The internet has been a godsend for car enthusiasts.

Anyway…thanks again.
I’ll probably get the ‘tin can’ one…sigh.

Nah, I’ll get the relay you attached…thanks!

I’m a purist, but $40 can go toward more important things for heaven’s sake…

Anyone have a part number for the GM fan?