Series 1 windshield problem

Hi Dave,

That’s interesting. I think I’ll call Welsh and ask them to measure the height of their windscreen. They may be the same as the one’s from Barratt, but doesn’t cost anything to find out. The ones from Barratt are manufactured at the Pilkington plant in England (or so they say).

Thanks,
Al

I’m going to assume that the Welsh glass is actually branded Triplex. If so, I wonder why SNG doesn’t offer that instead of the Pilkington labeled glass. After all, it’s the same company.

Could there really be two different products? Or did Welsh somehow have NOS leftovers?

BTW I must correct my tale of the OTS door glass. The SNG door glass was branded as Starglass. And my memory was jogged correctly as a result. The Moss regulator was too thick on the exterior, where it slides inside the external metal door window channel on the vertical part of the door.

The thinner than original glass fit was remedied by using thicker glass setting tape and ultimately, urethane glass adhesive.

Dave

Just bought a couple of windshields from Welsh last week (Etype and Mk1). Both had the Triplex logo and manufactured by Pilkington. JS Atlanta, GA

Did you measure fo aj16 he wants to check the centre depth

I talked to Donny at Welsh yesterday. He said the tinted windscreens they have were made by Pilkington, but the clear ones are from another British manufacturer - and happily, they are the right height :slight_smile:

On 07/22/2021 6:51 PM Danny Lee via Jag-lovers Forums

Regards,
Al

1 Like

Fantastic……… hope all goes well fitting this one

Got the new windshield last week. Same height as the one I bought from SNG (15-5/8"). He measured one at 16". Must have measured wrong or the wrong windshield. This is very frustrating.

Can you please tell me the height of the e-type windshield measured at the center? Was it for an OTS?

Sorry, but Ive already installed the glass and my car is a Series3 ots. JS

Have you tried my suggestion to install it and simply pull it up a bit? There is no way around this step. They had to do it on mine. Do it before inserting the locking strip.

The windshield that came out of my '68 OTS that although is not the original windscreen it is over 45 years old measures 15 11/16" tall in the center of the windscreen. 1/16" taller than the replacement you received. Unless the replacements have been wrong for over 45 years I would suggest that the replacement you received is very close to the original dimensions (at least this dimension).

I need to pull it all the way up to support the chrome strip that runs across the top edge since the center latch for the top must clamp to it. If I do that, the glass will not be in the seal at the bottom. I will probably have to put a narrow strip of 1/8" thick rubber inside the chrome at the top and another in the seal at the bottom of the windshield. I’m not very comfortable with this solution, but there appears to be nothing else I can do.

Sorry to here of your WS problems AJ. I don’t have a solution, but I can give a plug for Donny at Welsh on my FHC. I ordered one when their recent flyer came out and It arrived broken. Welsh replaced it instantly, no questions. Just wanted photos. That was a relief. Is there any use for a WS with a ding on the bottom edge? I hope the new one will fit though as I don’t plan to install it for 6 months or so.