Series 1 wiper motor replacement

Of course, Aristides - the relay just bypasses the resitance in the underdimensioned wires and corroded connections. Another solution is to fit heavier wires…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

True enough, but that’s rather impractical. You’d be rebuilding harnesses throughout the front half of the car. It’s so much easier to just mount some $3 relays and run one stout wire from the buss on the firewall to them.

Also, adding relays greatly reduces the loads on control switches so they last forever.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. really appreciate the insights & guidance.

I’m just catching up in this one. Our '72 XJ6 has absolutely standard everything: alternator, wiper motor, wheel boxes, switches and wiring. The wipers work well with good speed and parking. All items were rebuilt or refreshed several years ago. As referenced above hardened grease and other age related issues made them slow and strained before refresh. Expect boosting voltage and other solutions should follow after all elements of the system have been checked and refreshed - otherwise you might be forcing an outcome when good fundamentals might produce a result. FWIW Paul.

2 Likes

Fair enough, Paul…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks guys. I lubricated numerous parts and that has really helped.

Mechanic took the motor apart and it was full of thick substance restricting the wipers from moving. He cleaned out and put new brushes in. And sweet free moving wipers. Can’t get both speeds to work. But the one speed works awesomely. Mechanic also installed washer jet motor. So that works now .

They for some reason decided to switch motor polarity when the wiper switch is turned OFF so the wipers takes a 2nd dance across the windshield before parking.
And when they reach park position the motor windings are short circuited to brake the motor instantly. This was before moon landings and the Internet so all brain trust of engineers could be trusted to come up with clever wiper motor circuits.

1 Like

Slightly off topic but I recall there was a story that a perceived reduced quality of US automotive engineering during the '60’s was because all the good engineers had been picked up by NASA