Series 1 XJ6 Black with Black interior? Strange?

Curious if black interior could have existed on a Black Series 1 XJ6 from the factory…

I recall reading somewhere black interior was actually a sort of special option one could request when buying new at the time.

Considering switching out interiors from a parts car, just wondering aloud if it would be weird.
Anyone see one before?

I recall as a kid reading and reading all the Jaguar magazines and articles. One was on a Mk2, the car I had at the time, and it was black on black, with license plate “chat noir” …

Always liked that.
TIA for any thoughts.
Just throwing it out there for opinions, cheesy or not!

Best
D

Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

Black interior does indeed seem to be rare on the Series I-II-III cars…at least USA market versions. I don’t know if it was an actual ‘special order’ thing (I’ve heard that bandied about before) or if Jaguar USA just decided to specify black less often when ordering cars, or what.

Over the many years I’ve seen maybe 2-3 other Series I cars with black interiors. A few more on Series II-III cars but, then again, there are more of the later cars still in existence

Interestingly (well, to me at least) all the Series III cars I’ve seen with black interior…maybe 6 or 7 all told… were 1985 model year except one…a very early car, 1979/80. Oh, wait…there was also a 1982 XJ12 German market car that somehow ended up in the USA.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Appreciate that Doug. Thanks.
Search results reveal none I can find either (S1).
Funny/strange. Mine is a LHD car also.

Thought black would be the easiest/cheapest to produce too…

anyway, just thinkin’ out loud and curious.
Best
D

It’s certainly easy to dye any colour black–I have black S3 seats in my Corvair. And an easy colour to maintain, too.

Sure sure … I meant for the factory to produce, and why they apparently made it a special option or produced so few as Doug mentions.

And he seems to be spot on, those I have seen are all foreign S1 cars, many 2.8 versions.

Yeah, unfortunately the black interior model I have is complete, the lighter “bone” color is not.

To dye black a lighter color, well, not a good idea … wouldn’t you agree?
I have no experience dying leather, yet in other areas well, I appreciate it really should not be done.

And as a note, modern “Jaguars” (I don’t think they are true Jaguars anymore!) always have that ugly faded steering wheel with the black beneath showing through…you know?

Kind regards and thanks for your time…

Very interesting… I have a 1972 series one that is pale primrose and interior is black and in beautiful shape. So that’s good to know. I don’t think you ca dye black leather to lighter color think you end up with it being muddy colour.

1 Like

I don’t know either…I’ve only gone the other way. But the S1 originally had lacquer dye, which can be substantially removed with lacquer thinner or a special Leatherique product. You also sand the surface quite a bit. Most of the colour winds up being removed. The new dyes are water-based and penetrate. Just might work…I’ll bet the dye websites would be able to advise.

Ah, sure sure, definite combination. Also Silver cars had black interior…I believe those were the only two.

Otherwise, perhaps these newer chemicals and dyes are superior allowing dye over darker materials, vinyls, etc…
Yes, as stated, one must spray some chemical on now beforehand making the vinyl or leather more absorbent, etc.

It may work, as the bone-ish color actually has a bit of a green tint to it due to age, and some of that black beneath showing through may assist this.

Anyway, for some reason black on black does not sit well with me. Gives it too much of a custom look.
FWIW

I like the combination of BRG and a black interior. Just remove the poor Jaguar seats for ones with support for the body…Mercedes leatherette with suede inserts…

Door panels are off being remade to work with S3 arm rest and door pockets.

Ah, thanks for that.
Always interesting to see others’ tastes and creations regardless of whether they are to my taste or not.

Surprised you didn’t got for a later S3 or XJ40 interior??

I don’t mind BRG and blk interior either…
My Mk2 was that combo.

And ya know, I don’t mind going without door panels either.
I intend to remove all anyway to stretch the vinyl over backing board and restore, but more importantly to rust proof the interior and clean up or re-wire whatever must be done.

…and off topic but made me think, boy is it something how fast early electric windows go up and down compared to those today!!

roger nice interior…you must have a chevy engine in your jag hint steering logo.

Jaguar power seats do not work in S1 Jags due to the roof design, they sit too tall due to the power mechanism. You have to be short to make them work…plus they do not support your body like other makes do… these are from PT Cruiser, RH arm rest, lumbar support, power up and down with heat. The head rests actually will work for someone that is six foot tall.

Yes, have 383/200R SBC with fuel injection…

1 Like

Demian,

not sure about SI, but the color chart for SII of Oct. 1974 indicates neither black colour for paint nor black trim for Jaguar XJ models. British Racing Green cars came stock with trim in Moss Green, Biscuit or Cinnamon.

Black interior was available stock only for E types in Old English White, Signal Red and Pale Primrose.

I’m fairly sure though that I once saw an original XJ SI in said Signal Red and with black interior. Daimlers have always been more flexible in colours as well. And - even though this colour chart doesn’t mention it, there must have been metallic paints: On a German price list from July 1975 mention is made of “metallic paint (silver)” at DM 550 and “leather seats black” at DM 165 for all XJ cars.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

you must be happy with that set up must have taken a lot of time and money to do so well done! what radiator did you use?

It was done in early 2000"s. radiator is actually a brass one… works fine with Ford Probe dual fans… today I would use a plastic/aluminum radiator. Has radiator cap hole cut into custom radiator support… Never overheats even in our hot So Cal summer weather and stop and go traffic with the AC on…

Yes, I have lots of hours of work in the car and lots of $$$$$, but it is nicer than a late model economy car and has lots of power and looks great.

Gotcha…thank you!

Removed door panel…see it was originally PURPLE!

…gotta love those colors during that time period.

Can’t do that though…black is nice, easily repairable, POR 15 friendly for the inner doors, engine bay, etc…and CHEAP.
…though a most difficult color for paint shops I read as it shows everything.

Never cared a lot about paint as I drive my cars as a daily.

thanks again for the info

Hihi,

purple is just gorgeous! I saw pics of the car and the colour sets of the chrome beautifully. I found a pic of a colour scheme for SI cars. I’d suppose your colour would be Heather

It would have been complimented by trim in Maroon (dark red?), Antelope or Cerise.

People may not have had internet or social media, but they had imagination and plenty of interesting substances to experiment …

Good luck

Jochen

1 Like

Wow…you are the man!

Ah, I thought heather was the salmon color … pastel pink-ish. May be wrong of course. Have to look it up.

The interior is like a bone, but I see it is really a grey. Strange I don’t see it on the list. hmmm.

I can only judge by the door interiors without their covers … yes, not a big fan of purple, but it could be neat.

Funny, never knew they made that color, on any Jaguar, ever…
There just were no other colors like those during this time period.

Nice to still find surprises after all these years as an enthusiast.

Thank you again.

Best regards
D

PS: Gotta love it…Cerise, Fern Grey, Heather, etc…wow, those days are sure gone. Charming stuff!

Hmmm, indeed - there’s also this pale pink colour …

The pic I posted seems to be a shot from some book, maybe Thorley, and It may not reveal the “extra cost” colours. Just as Opalescent Silver Metallic there may have been other tones. I just found a hint at “Roman Purple” https://jec.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6706. Quite mysterious though …

Jochen

1 Like

hah.,…love it!

Roman purple…clever.
During Roman times, only royalty could wear purple. It was a very valuable color as well. Produced by snails.

Punishable by death if worn by non-royals.

1 Like