Series 1 XJ6 Steering Wheel Removal (How to)

Removing the original steering wheel … a quick run down please?

Thank you very much
D

Demian

You should really purchase the Jag CD with the parts and service manuals. Here is the Steering section… index will show you the steering wheel section…08 Steering.pdf (978.1 KB)

1 Like

Agree with this! In the interim you could download the free parts catalogue offered by SNG Barratt. There are exploded diagrams for most assemblies - themselves instructive! I downloaded three from the new website last night. Paul

1 Like

I had the original S1 service manual…i don’t know where the heck it is now?!

Thank you very much for that, makes sense and what I imagined, however it doesn’t describe how to remove the horn push cover …

Just wanted a quick comment on how that’s done…but I will look at it more closely then when I get out to do it all.

Best

Demian. There are four self tapping screws that insert at the back of the diametric bar (with the horn push in it). If you work backwards with a small screwdriver you can unwind the screws and remove the bar. The oval horn push and spring will lift out. Now you will be able to see a further four screws that hold the semi circular horn rail in place. Quite easily done (QED). :slightly_smiling_face:Preformatted text
Paul

1 Like

Gotcha gotcha…thank you very much!
Hoped for as much…but sometimes you never know!

Easy is good :wink:

Take care
D

Here’s how I’ve done it (series II and series III)
two (possibly 4) screws on the back holding the horn cover on 3 and 9 oclock take those out. this will expose the center nut. remove the center nut, and give the wheel a tappy tap tap with the palm of your hand at the 3 or 9 oclock position. this will break the taper and it should come right off.
series I steering wheel
try books4cars.com for a repair manual.

1 Like

Awesomeness…thank you as well Mark.

Kind regards

D

Demian hello where can one purchase that cd for series 1 would be nice to have and print the pages I need instead of my oily finger marks all over my expensive manual…Cheers

Good question, i dunno

Maybe someone will know a good source. I’ve purchase a Haynes manual on cd but was scam site.

Both sources, the parts catalogue and the repair operation manual, originally came on CD-ROMs supplied by JDHT. With the Tata takeover JDHT seem to have stopped this practice. Some information - in particular the parts catalogue - can be found on https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/older-vehicle-info. The ROM seems to be harder to be found.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

Jochen cheers mate much appreciated and it even works Fab…

1 Like

Oh wow, you the man Jochen!!
Many thanks!

Jochen,
I’ve come to discover that Jaguar classic parts, is an invaluable tool. on my first XJ6, I found their website invaluable for putting together the window regulators, which were in the boot. The exploded view helped me get all of the bits in the right order and back together. with no extra parts :smile:

I use this website frequently to provide other forum members information (like above) as well as to locate part numbers to search other sources closer to my home Euro shipping is a bit pricey to the US.
I’ve purchase a bunch of books from these folks, also parts jumblers (UK Term i think) or here in the US British / Jaguar swap meets are also a great source for books among other stuff. I picked up a factory 6 volume shop manual for my XJS for $100.00 at the Portland British car Drive in (aka show / vintage race / swap meet. Which has proven to be invaluable at any price.

Anyway, Books 4 cars this link illustrates what’s available for Series I XJ’s

Hope this helps
Mark

1 Like

Mark,

as I wrote, the parts catalogue, as of itself an incredibly rich source, is not the problem, but the ROM used to be available through JDHT for the princely sum of approx. GBP 10, but now it seems to be offline. Granted, there are book shops dealing with original prints, but it still seems to be a loss.

If it weren’t about the copyright it would be no problem to put the CD-ROM version, which I still got in 2007, online … You don’t believe how many questions can be answered with a cool beer and an hour of leisure time over the original ROM, how many hours of greasy, cold, sweaty or knuckle-bleeding workshop hours can be saved once you know what’s lying ahead of you.

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

These are the Factory Manuals, and for $9, they have Parts & Service

I have a large Kindle that I bought used for $20, and it has needed manuals stored on it, can be easily taken on trips etc