Series 1 XJ6 Transmission Oil Cooler replacement

the original makes me nervous…
one crack and water mixes and buona notte transmission…

Could this work below? Any reason it wouldn’t?
Better suggestions?
PS: I like inexpensive! but good…

Then block off /fabricate or replace that original trans cooler pipe.

Does it mater which connection/hose goes to which connector on cooler?
Not stated in manual or anywhere I can find.

Also, as I am using a S3 engine (all else original, carbs, etc), the S3 oil cooler was also transferred over and sits before radiator.
Needs some editing and professionalism, but it is good there.

I have read an engine oil cooler is not necessary and to simply blank off the connections at the filter housing.
True?

May I simply use it as the trans. oil cooler?

Thoughts genuinely appreciated as always.
Thanks

Hey there,

Original seems pretty burly, I’ve never had issues.

On my S3 engine into S1 body take 1 I just used copper plugs and ran without the oil cooler.

Once the 7L on my current car goes bang and I source a late 8L motor I might keep the cooler for take 2

1 Like

Thanks for that…gotcha.

Love your car btw, great color.
They had the best colors during that time.

Funny the image i chose for my avatar is identical.

on another vehicle where trans temps are a problem, this issue has been covered in depth

in respect of trans fluid being cooled by heat exchange with radiator coolant; it was opined that the reason factory engineers design them this way is twofold

1. they serve to warm cold trans fluid
  2. this method absorbs “thermal spikes” BETTER than an air cooled system alone

even though this seems counter intuitive if coolant temp is high, apparently heat exchange principles mean it does, I suspect the coolant temp would be similar to max trans fluid temp at that part of radiator.

I do know Ford Falcon BA were renown for mixing coolant and trans fluid due to flimsy design, with predictable results on trans

in the first case, they add a larger than OEM air-flow trans cooler, and (usually) keep heat exchanger

its easy to add a trans temp guage, then you will know what is going on

1 Like

Ah…heat “exchanger” that makes sense. I never knew of that nor even considered the concept (or honestly knew of it) before?!

Thank you for that. I appreciate it.

…gives me some things to think about and research.

kind regards

1 Like