Hey Boys! My 911 is back on the road, which opened up a space in the garage for my XJ6!
If you didn’t see my original thread about this thing, here it is.
So anyway, in my 2.5 years of ownership, I have done nothing at all with this, and that’s about to change. This thing sat for I don’t know how long before I bought it, but I did hear it cough/run on starting fluid before purchasing.
So full disclosure, feeling a bit overwhelmed and intimidated by this, because there is just so much I don’t know about this thing, and the… ahem… wiring.
The purpose of this post is to discuss what I should do first, and how I should dig into this thing? I NEED to do the fuel system on this, have carb rebuild kits, filter, etc. Also have valve cover gaskets and stuff since these are seeping. Plan is to get it running/driving and cleaned up a bit and go from there.
Here is my current plan, but I am open to suggestions:
- Drain oil, change filter, refill w fresh 20w50
- Drain old fuel (not sure how to do this with two tanks)
- Change fuel filter and spark plugs, throw some marvel mystery oil in there to help lube rings/soak
- Remove carbs and intake manifold (all super gross, carbs are not working correctly)
- Rebuild carbs
- Cerakote intake manifold
- Pull valve covers, fix cosmetics
- Adjust valves
- Reinstall, turn key, see what happens
Any other basic advice for plan of attack here? Do things in different order? Stuff I am missing? Appreciate the advice!