Series 111 and series 1 IFS differences

hi all newby here from Australia can anyone tell me the difference between the suspensions as i have a series 111 with a couple of bit missing
Front Steering Spindle Wishbone lh side missing
is the track wider on the 111 than the one
i use the suspensions in hot rods because there so good so all information is appreciated
Bob

S3 is wider than S1. I would guess there is no cost or availability advantage in substituting S1 parts for S3.

I doubt it’s even possible as I think the upper/lower front fulcrum spindles are different. Check part numbers at the usual vendors or from parts catalogues.

IOW, just buy the S3 parts you don’t have, new or used.

hi peter there lies a problem in its self new Front Steering Spindle Wishbone bits are hard to source and the second hand have differences mounting hole sises and slightly more pronounced bends what im would like to find out if there is an actual difference or is it just the mount hole sises
problem with parts catalogs is they could be the same but the number classified them as superseded
first line of attack was to ring Jaguar they dont have an idea except that the two suspensions are different but how ! now there is the problem was hoping for a bit of luck on here
thanks for the advice its appreciated

Sice you are using parts in a non-Jaguar configuration, Robert - the prime concern would be to ensure that the left and right sides are identical.

Jaguar did some changes between these S1 and S3 parts - and while they are sort of interchangeable in pairs, left and right, they cannot be half and half on a Jaguar. Whether this is relevant in your case is guesswork.

Jaguar likely made different mount hole differences to avoid mix-ups? Normally, when upgrading, Jaguar parts that could be readily interchanged were direct fits…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Ignore my answer - I was referring to S1 vs S3 E-types, sorry.

thanks guys been helpful i had a s1 s3 lh and had been manually mapping them seam to me that there was no difference in the angles and length only the mounting hole
so with your help i can noe bore the holes on the s1 to suit the mounts on s3
thanks again guy’s

p/s all comments are processed and use in this ting i call a head :smile:

Robert,

we checked the differences some years ago and found out that Jaguar did a nice trick by simply rearranging existing parts to achieve a subtle difference in ride. I include the chart we made up then in co-operation:

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)