Series 2 chassis number

Is the chassis number only on the compliance plate, or is it also stamped on the monocoque itself?

What country are you in?

Australia maaaaaate!

I’m not aware of Jaguar using any body stampings. I think all the various numbers are on tags which are attached to the body.

USA market Series III sedans and XJSs have a couple tags attached to the body behind the rear bumper so you might want to take a peek there. I recall that these are “body number” and/or “commission number”…having no relationship to the VIN or serial number used for licensing or registration purposes.

But I really can’t say what you’d expect to find …or where to find it…on an Australian market car.

Cheers
DD

Well, the XJ-S has the VIN dead center in front of the wiper grille.

1 Like

The reason I asked about the country is that apparently the rules vary. We’ve had reports that people importing XJ-S’s into Europe from the US have been required to remove the VIN tag at the left corner of the windshield. US VIN’s are a different format than Euro ones, so I think they also have to cross out the US VIN wherever it appears and apply the Euro version.

Right, of course.

I was thinking about Chassis/body/VIN numbers other than the primary number.

Cheers
DD

They do, yes.

Over the years we’ve seen various examples of different ID placards/tags depending on the requirements of different markets.

I really have no idea what was required in Australia in the 70s.

Cheers
DD

Russell,

on SII cars the body no. should be stamped on a tag attached to the body underneath the rear bumper, right hand side:

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Depends what you mean by chassis number. The body number is different. [xj] lower quarter panel bolts/ mystrey numbers

On the S1 there is a number stamped into the metal of the inner wing near the ID plate.

Frankie