Series 2 FHC value?

Since I already own a 67 1.25 OTS ( in the middle of a full resto) I can certainly appreciate the downside of paying too much . I had a good friend over last night to check out the body on my lift. He has restored a few and owns an earlier FHC . His metalwork and paintwork is pretty outstanding. The car is in essentially the same condition that it was 30 years ago when he polished the paint for the original owner. We both agree it’s much nicer than “fair” but still $20,000 to paint properly!

Bear in mind when perusing Hagerty numbers that they reflect insurance values, what it will cost to replace a car with the same model and year in comparable condition. Here in Ontario, the buyer of an auction car with a hammer price of $100,000 will pay a 5% buyer’s premium then another 13% in tax to register it. So, a car that you might sell for $100,000 - or a comparable car that’s written off - will cost 100x1.05x1.13=$118,700 to replace.

1 Like

Hagerty’s web site leads me to believe their valuations reflect transaction prices, at least if you are a Drivers Club member. What is no clear is if the prices one can access include auction fees. Local registration fees and taxes vary so much there is no way they could adjust for that. For example, here you pay half of what you do in sales tax, and annual registration (license plate) is usually under $30.

Membership Perks

Hagerty Valuation Tools includes more than 10 years of pricing for 40,000 enthusiast cars, trucks, vans, and motorcycles from the post-war era to present. As a Drivers Club member, gain unlimited access to all that data as well as 400,000 sales in our transaction database.

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools

Hagerty valuations are generally seen as being in the high end. They’re better regarded as directional as opposed to absolutes. One should establish an insurance valuation for his/her car accordingly. Hagerty also maintains two valuation sites, the main one for US based cars and customers and a separate one for Canadians at Hagerty.ca.

1 Like

Value……. What a willing buyer and a willing seller are prepared to accept and pay ….in other words the market at the time…… all of these things are subjective ……it’s keeping the emotion out of it that is the difficult part!

Enjoy

1 Like

The best part is that I’ve got another week to grease it and change some fluids etc and check it out at leisure. It’s in fine shape mechanically, no oil leaks to speak of just a handful of little things so far.

Yep!!

It’s the reason why, back in 1994, I was able to sell a 1960 Humber Super Snipe, in average condition, to a guy who’d never seen it, who came from California with an expensive one-way plane ticket, and drove it back to California, for $2000!

Cash.

To this day, I still can’t believe it actually happened…

Oh yea, I forgot: both he AND his girlfriend bought expensive one-way plane tickets, plus, he took off for California, on a late November night. Through the Rockies.

18 hours later, he called me and confirmed he’d made it, no issues, and as I told him, it got 15 mpg!

1 Like

Wiggs is right about people getting carried away (literally), and I sold a 65 roadster to a gent who was in town. His friend had been watching the local ads, showed mine. He rented a car, came over and looked it over and loved it. I tried to show him all the warts, and he wasn’t interested. He agreed to my asking price, asked if I would put tires on it, and would be back in a week. He drove it around 400 miles home, called me to tell me he did a hundred mph a couple times. It was a number 4 car, and that is being charitable. Emotion is a powerful thing. It was my second car of the four I owned at one point.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for their input! My friend and I worked out a deal on the FHC . More than fair ; I’m below market price and had the opportunity to really get a good look at it before buying it. I traded him some labor on his 67 Healey so he’ll be cruising in that come Spring! Thanks again , Kevin

1 Like

I had a 100-4 some years ago that I regretted selling because it was a perfect rust free diamond in the rough . You my friend must have have not gotten a great deal for just labor only. Does he have any other car that needs work for possible trade like an Aston Martin DB5 or 6 who’s counting? I’ll take whatever he has to offer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: PS Any pictures of the coupe?