Series 2 fuel pump wiring diagram

HI
I am working on a 76 series 2 xj6 with carbs and pumps in the fuel tanks. I am having an electrical issue as the components are working.

What i need is a wiring diagram for this specific model. The series 3’s are different and of course the FI ones are different. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the power supply to the fuel system pumps and switches for this car

Thanks Kevin

What actually is the problem, Kevin…?

Pumps are operated via a fuel safety relay. Which ensures that fuel pumps only run in ‘crank’ - or with the engine running in ign ‘on’. A crucial item is an extra oil pressure switch on the engine. ‘Break’, no relay action with engine stationary (no oil pressure) - but switch bypassed in ‘crank’ to activate relay. If switch fails to ‘make’ with the engine running will stop the fuel pumps…

Or do you have other symptoms…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Well I did a brake job and then the car quit running.
I had to replace the booster and when I did I pulled the booster and pedal assembly from the car. I suspect that i pulled a wire when I did this. I of course can’t see a loose wire.
I am not getting power to the internal fuel pump, the rollover switch or the tank switching switch. I don’t think series 2’s run a relay for this, though they should.
So basically I am trying to figure out where they get their initial power and where does it run to

Your combination of symptoms is not related to the fuel safety relay alone, Kevin - so your ‘torn wire’ theory has merit…

The fuel pumps are powered from the ign key, white wire to the fuel safety relay. With a white/red from the starter solenoid relay to override the safety relay in ‘crank’.

As an extra safety; the white wire from the safety relay goes through the inertia switch ( is that your ‘rollover switch’?) to the changeover switch - then to the pumps. If the inertia switch was tripped by your working, it will stop the pumps - so the inertia switch should have power both ‘in’ and ‘out’…

If there is no power ‘in’ to the inertia switch (are there two wires connected to it?) - you may backtrack the white wire to locate a break, or loose end?

However, the white circuit is general power to all engine management systems, including coil. Have you checked that there is power to the coil ‘+’ - in case you have torn a wire from the ign switch?

The wiring diagrams do not show the actual routing of the wires. The only clue as to ‘where’ to look for a break.is loss of power between components listed. And hopefully you have the components listed…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)