Series 2 parts, what is junk, what should i save?

cleaning the garage (a very rare occasion). I will ever use any of these parts. I am sure some are just old junk but wanted to ask other members what parts are just old junk, which have a resale value and what gets stuffed in a box and given to the next xj6 owner I see?

J (?),

if this is a classified, it doesn’t belong here, but in the classified section.

Apart from that you might just check ebay and ebay classifieds to estimate values for particular items. You’ll find that - depending on the sense of shame and time at the hands of the sellers - the values span from adding to the seller’s coffee can to an arm and a leg. You can take a lot of efforts advertising every item over and over again until you find someone who just then needs that particular item and is ready to pay a substantial sum. Or you try to find another amateur willing to stuff his garage for the next full restauration to come, and pass on the whole shebang for an amount you both find fair 

Most of the parts shown are parts that typically don’t break or are just as used as in any other car of that age, so I’d go for the second way.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

no, not an ad to sell. more a question as to what is worth the time to sell, or even worthy of giving away. the engine, posi and consoles wont go in the dumpster but everything else? rather give it away than toss a hard to find. if none of it is hard to find, there is a dumpster right outside of my garage.

For a recently-running engine and trans, I paid $100: the FI brain, wiring loom, injector ballast, and relays may be worth a couple quid.

The trim, lenses, and ancillaries aren’t worth a lot, but something to someone.

I’m at the point where I am thinking of breaking a 4.2 and a DG box for scrap value (different cars) I have a set of ‘S’ ‘60’s era doors that might well be going the same way, had them on our naitionwide site auction site and only getting views :frowning:

1 Like

just thought I would ask before tossing it in the dumpster. already scrapped 4 rust free doors and some other larger items. really thought the motor was worth something, guess not. I have a lot more parts to go threw but these are the ones that I assumed were of little value. now I am wondering if my ‘good’ parts are worth the shelf space the take.

I assume you are in the states so your market would be larger than my 4 mill people :wink:

Pittsburgh, pa. was never about market size, just hate to throw out a part that someone might need and cant find. if the junkyards are full of working clocks, straight bumpers and undamaged consoles, no need for me to hoard them.

that is where I am at with most of it. the consoles will go in my xjs pile (to also be sorted) but most from the pics has no value to me. what stuff is not even worth shipping? to put it another way, if you saw this at a swap meet for free, what would you leave on the table?

This is very true! The “arm and a leg stuff” has been listed for years.

It looks like all of that stuff would fit nicely in the back of a pickup. Check around for the next old car swap meet near you and take it all down there. $2-$10 parts would sell like MAGA hats in Texas.
Phillip

an issue is whether you care at all about money (I am assuming not),
or just dont want to throw good Jag parts away.

I sometimes buy good no reserve price spare parts,
its always more of a hassle for the seller to actually send than its worth etc.

The whole lot or lots could be put on Ebay, you might realise $1000

a spare cylinder head might be worth keeping, and SU carbs

or offer them free to a local Jag club/person/classified on here

well I am far from rich but money had little to do with my post. if just one of those parts isn’t being reproduced and spares getting scarce, it needs to get into the right hands. thus “what is junk, what should I save?”. I have a much bigger stash of xjs parts and have a better grasp of what gets pitched and what has value. those may go with the car but seems demand on any of that has dropped in the last few years.

And demand will eventually pick up again.
Example, I needed one Mark V door. Found a guy who had sold his Mark V and was cleaning out his garage of Mark V doors and other Mark V stuff. Gave him what I was willing to pay for the door alone, came away with my car and trailer full. He was glad, I was glad.

Bottom line: I think once I get the Jee-Type OTR, the balance of these SIII XJ6 engines will be going to the scrap yard.

Is the second to last picture a diff? What ratio?

that is a 3.77 posi. bought it with intentions of putting it in the xjs, I never even uncrated it. I also have a complete rear cage with a 3.54 open rear.

Would you have an headlight relay, it located at the radiator bracket on my 78 xj6 ser.2.

Walter
ewschust1357@Centurylink.net

I saved all relays from 2 cars but not sure which is it. can you post a pic?

Its marked HELLA RDOO1836 05 12V

measures about 1 1/2 x 2 1/2

Walter