Series 3 auto gearbox starter relay - Help

Good afternoon,

after an engine out to replace floor pans, am trying to get pieces back together and have trouble with the starter relay. First of all the wire color do not match a single bit with the wiring diagram color in the workshop manual.
Now the Lucas relay has 5 pins. W1/W2/C1/C2/C4.
W1 and W2 being the windings.

According to the manual:

C1 goes to the ballast
C2 to the positive (+12)
C4 to the starter solenoid

W1 comes from the ignition switch
W2 Comes from the Auto gearbox safety switch and at the same time to ground. Wired like than the engine crank. No idea if starts since am not that far yet…
If do ground it, however, then it bypasses the security switch and can crank the engine in any gear - NO good…
So the million dollars question is: where is the black cable sharing the ground with the wiper motor goes ? Cannot go to C4 since if so when crank will short, cannot go to C2 for the same reason (beside there is no double socket in C2 and W1). Does it go to C1 ?

Many tks for any help on this matter…am lost.

Best
Gianni

Does this page help you?

https://dogboi.info/jaguar-e-type-v12-wiring-diagram/

Regards, Andrys

Good day Andrys

and many tks yrs kind reply. Unfortunately not. Since my car has automatic gearbox there is a safety switch on the gear lever allowing the starter to crank only if the lever is in P or in N Position. If do follow the wiring scheme on the workshop manual, and connect the W2 to such switch and to ground the result is that the switch is bypassed and the starter crank the engine irrespective of the gear lever position (see attached PDF).

There is black wire in my car sharing the ground with the wiper motor which is supposed to be connected to the the relay but cannot figure out where . Now either the workshop manual wiring scheme is wrong or…Doc1.pdf (116.2 KB)

W2 always goes to ground, albeit direct (manual shift) or through the transmission cut-out switch (auto shift). You do want W2 to be grounded only through the cut-out switch and not directly.

I bet that Jaguar included both options in their wiring looms. Hence, leave the black wire loose (no harm done) and connect the black-green wire to W2. Note that both the black and the BG wires from W2 are dashed lines, meaning “option” (at least for the S2 auto wiring diagram).

Tks Andrys. Indeed do not want the starter to crank whilst in gear ! will try and let the ground cable disconnected and see what’s happen, however if was definitely connected when took the engine out. Simply cannot figure out where…

Tks yrs help. Appreciate.

Hi Gianni,
I took a couple of pictures of the starter relay and wires when I converted from auto to manual. Maybe it can help you regarding the colors and connections on the relay.
Good luck … Ole

Hi Ole,

many tks yr help. It helps indeed. It does reflect what Andrys was saying before i.e. there is no direct ground on relay but grounded via the auto gear security switch. Still wonder where the 2 black grounded wires in yr pic go. One is surely going to the wiper motor but the other ?

Appreciate yr help.

Best
Gianni

I see a black wire going to a ring terminal under the bolt that secures the relay to the bulkhead. Is that what you mean? In fact, there appear to be black wires grounded to the bulkhead on both of the bolts that secure the relay. Nothing to do with the relay though - just convenient grounding bolts…

Well…not quite. My car had two black wires sharing the same grounding bolt. One goes to the wiper motor and the other (see pic) was connected somewhere or maybe was just hanging been an option as suggested earlier by Andrys