Series 3 door mirror glass replacement

Hi,

Believing there was a clip that would let go of the mirror glass, I actually managed to break the mirror!

How on earth is the mirror glass replaced in these door mirrors?

Kind regards,
Bard Thomas

They are glued on. I had one replaced once at a local glass shop. They were convinced that they could not get a mirror for the XJ, but they had one in stock for the XJS. It is identical.

Tony

Just like that ehā€¦? Do you know what it took to remove the old mirror? Heat gun, I imagineā€¦

Bard

I just did two ! One on my daughterā€™s VW Passat and the other on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I found a place on line that sells the glass mirror alone.

In the case of the VW, the glue had parted and the glass just fell out. On the road of course. It left a waffle like part in he housing.
The glazier also sold me a tube of the adhesive used in their shop. I squired on a liberal coat and used some masking tape, the good blue kin d to secure it til the adhesive set. Perfect,
Still there.

In one manner or another the mirror on the passenger side of my Jeep cracked and went dull. Back to the vendor. Got one.
The glazier suggested I remove the busted one. I decided to not to do so. Just my nature. I glued the new glass on to the busted one with the same adhesive. Aligned perfectly, fit as
well as ever. Much happier to get a clear view of what is alongside. Iā€™m pretty good at checking the three mirrors in m y critters as I drive. Missing one is disturbing.

Carl

My mirror could not be adjusted so I bought a new mirror only to find out that the ball and socket holder had come apartā€¦ Once the glass carrier was snapped back in, it was perfect. At least in the mirrors I have, the glass is glued to a carrier that snaps in to the motor assemblyā€¦these ball and socket joints allow the mirror to pivot. By snapping these apart, you can unscrew the mirror from the car bodyā€¦without while not impossible, is much more delicate .Iā€™ll take some pictures of the spares shorly.

Regards

I should noteā€¦ These mirrors are mid 80ā€™s xj6 us market mirrorsā€¦I am not aware what may have been fitted to European market series 3 cars.

Regards

1 Like

I donā€™t recall getting to see the procedure. I remember they sent me home with a piece of foam over the new glass and some tape holding it all in place until it cured.

Tony

Hi Gary,
This is most helpful! Shame that all your mirrors are electrically operated though. Maybe itā€™s possible to replace the ā€œfootā€, in which case I can make use of the myriads of red mirrors in my stockā€¦

I gather popping the glass is a matter of pulling it off the socket with some determination, taking care not to break the glass in the processā€¦

Bard

Hi Gary,
I have to try and reply to this email in stead of the forum; there is some stupid limitation to number of posts in the same day for ā€œnew usersā€. I joined in the mid nineties, so pretty annoying reallyā€¦

Looking at your pictures of the two mirrors side by side, my thoughts about different angle of the foot is confirmed. That is, if they are left in their operative positions. RHD mirrors will be ā€˜mirroredā€™ to give the driver the right angle of view.

Hopefully the foot can be replaced with one correctly angled! In that case I may still be interested in your mirrors, or parts thereofā€¦

Regards,
Bard

Bard, shipping to Norway would likely be between 40-50 USD. Say $10 for the mirrors. If you have any further interestā€¦just let me know.

Regards

Hi,

Yeah, itā€™s rather expensiveā€¦ But youā€™re not, so maybe itā€™ll be worthwhileā€¦ I will investigate the issue until I know all there is to know about these mirrors!

Cheers,

Bard

Itā€™s probably worth mentioning that these same mirrors were also used on mid- to late-eighties Jeep Wagoneers. Might be easier to source under that descriptor.

Andrew.

1 Like

I bought a mirror advertised as such. The housing and mirror itself are identical to the Jaguar version. However, the mounting foot is at an angle that corresponds neither to that of the XJ6 nor to that of the XJSā€“it is intermediate IIRC. Also, the internals movement is different. It doesnā€™t move left-right and up-down but rather combines these motionsā€¦canā€™t remember the details. Finally, the connector is completely different, and requires a switch that is electrically different.

Thanks Robert. Interesting. The glass would certainly be a match ā€“ but I did not know the pedestals and electricals were different. Makes sense I guess. Good to know and to note here.
Andrew.

Well, one of my concerns is whether the pedestal (Ah! Much better word than ā€˜footā€™!) is interchangeable. That is, if it can be moved from one mirror to anotherā€¦ I havenā€™t gotten around to finding one that is loose to investigate this, but will do soon!

I was actually thrown off this issue as there were limitations in the number of posts that ā€œnewā€ member could doā€¦ I guess well over 20 years of membership doesnā€™t qualify in the new forumā€¦ Note to admin: please do something about this!

Bard

The foot can be swapped. I just removed the good XJ foot from a damaged junk mirror to swap onto a good XJ-S mirror so it will fit my XJ. The foot is retained by one of those spring washer things that press over a taper to snap into a groove (intended to be a one-timeone-way fitment). Itā€™s quite a tough washer and awkward to remove by prying off. Hopefully ACE Hardware will have new ones to save a bit of work straightening out the old one.

Iā€™ve contemplated that spring washer thingy more than once and decided it was unlikely that I could succeed. Let us know how it turns out. I now have six of those mirrors in useā€“on three carsā€“so it seems Iā€™m always fiddling with them.

Will the connector pull through the foot?

Dunno about connector - I snipped it off. I have a manual/cable version on the driver side and just want a static one on the passenger side as I canā€™t find a right hand cable example. It looks odd with only one of such a chunky mirror.

Right, you donā€™t have to adjust it once itā€™s set, especially if itā€™s a convex mirror. But Iā€™m not sure you can adjust it manually. You might have to power it up temporarily.

If you want to hook it up permanently, the mirror control will fit the same bezel as the manual version. If you put that bezel in the same place as the one on the driverā€™s side, you can hook up the mirror with only wiring within the door. The switch plugs into the mirror, and can get ground from the door frame and power from the courtesy light, power windows etc. Obviously, you canā€™t set the mirror while driving.