Series 3 in a boat bottom end removal

Oh Yes… Have the block boiled out also to remove and clear all oil passages…

How have you confirmed that the crankshaft is hardened, ‘sursulf’, Robert - what is your engine number?

Nominally, such crankshafts are supposed to have a black finish? It’s unknown why the hardened crankshafts should not be reground, but the reasons are probably valid? That it is possible to regrind - but what are the long term downsides?

On the other hand; closer inspection may reveal that regrinding is not required - and it may look more promising when cleaned up?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

A quick polish, followed by a thorough miccing, will positively determine if the crank needs a grind.

1 Like

I’d make darn sure that the rear main bearing bore in the block is round and of the correct diameter.

1 Like

Hi
Another update, of todays work.
Still yet to mic anything as my mates away this weekend.
Engine number is. 8L-211909-H. Which I believe is the engine with the hardened crank, but will always stand corrected.
The bad journal had some very sludge type oil in its passage, but nothing solid as such, and the oil gallery plug bolts all the same length.

I know the engine has been stood for a good few months, but my god the coolant passages had lots of debris, I’m glad I left pulling the long bolts out until I’d removed freeze plugs. I cleaned all the gunk out with the shop vac and then filled with penetrating fluid whilst I worked on pistons. They all came out very easily. Couple of the short ones ( one on each end) were harder to get out and required a little heat.

And I measured all the heights before removal.

Got all the old rings off pistons, 6&5 had a frozen ring each, but again a little heat and they were off. I broke the one on 6 but I think that was because it was still hot.
I’ve left the pistons soaking in diesel, so hopefully will clean up a treat.
Jobs to do, get the oil gallery plug out, timing cover end. Not sure what size it is, but pretty sure I don’t have one, looks very similar to the sludge plug on crank.
Sludge plug removal on crank, might be left to the shop, from what I’ve read on forum, bit of a b#&£h of a job.
Lots of cleaning of parts, for a few weekends.
Thanks
Rob

2 Likes

Did you also remove the crankshafts set screws further ‘upstream’ and and blow through, Robert - to verify the entire oil passage through the crankshaft were clear?

Frank

Rob is going to leave that job to the workshop.

Have Saunders finished the head? You could ask them to look at the crank too, they can be relied upon 100%.

The Jaguar XK engines I know of in marine applications were marinised by Silette I think, eventually taken over by the grumpy man from Lancing.

I think there is an XK in a boat on the Isle of Wight.

Those studs look good to me. Surface rust only, no serious corrosion.

Hi
Ben, I would be very interested if you could find out any more about boat on IOW with the XK engine.
So, last night took my crank to a mates house, to have a go at sludge plugs, and there all out. Yeeahhh.

My/ our process was,

1. soak all sludge plugs with penetrating fluid,3 at a time as I had to turn crank up on its end.
    2)drill out the peen,check with magnifying glass that it is clear.
  2. lots of direct heat into plug, ( map gas bottle I used), until liquid is seen bubbling up the edge of threads.
  3. hit it with 18v battery impact gun,with 1/2” Allen bit.
  4. slowly the plugs turned, and voila they were out.
    Not that bad a job in the end, probably an hour and half total.

Sludge was removed as we went, and disposed of, but each hole was at least half full!!
    Swarf from the drilling the peen still visible in picture.

Here are all the plugs,
    Love it when things go well, makes up for all the things that don’t, very quickly :grinning: :grinning:
2 Likes

Good work, Robert - remember to re-preen the plugs when they are back in…:slight_smile:

The ‘proper’ procedure, with the plugs removed, is to use compressed air at the ‘far end’ to blow the passages clean, just prodding at the plug ends is not enough. Of course, the sludge may be remains of the oil setting while the engine was laid up - but a plugged channel at the rear bearing may explain the state of that bearing?

Frank

Hw about running each hole with a gun cleaning brush,

Been there done that Shovedout a lot of sludge.

Carl

late to the party, cant see anyone has mentioned something important that can be a real killer, which is that where the crankshaft thrust washers reside must have a blemish free surface, and is very difficult to grind, as it needs to be micro polished.

It should be inspected with great care by an experienced individual, prior to other machine work being done, as if its overlooked, or too far gone, the (block or crank, cant remember which) is a “throw away”…very expensive mistake if over looked

oversize thrust washers can be bought to bring the crankshaft endplay into spec IF the journal surface is ok

Crankshaft end play is something that should be measured prior to engine being dismantled.

You could probably find more detailed info by searching the archives

Its not something to be ignored

1 Like

Did you get it back in the boat?

Hi
No long way off!
Not had block or CH back yet,the boats Transom needs re ply/ glass etc
Long 2-5 year project
Thanks for asking though
I’ve got a Fairline Targa 33 as well and she has needed some of my precious time
Rob

I’ve got a Fairline 29 Mirage. Great boats!
Rob