Series 3 Manual Gearbox Photo Request

Does anyone within the community have photos of the top of the 4 speed manual gearbox, Series 3, '74-'74 MY? I’m searching for photos that have the original hardware for the seat belt interrupt system installed. If you have a photo or two I’d appreciate a PM.

Happy Trails,

Dick Wells
UE1S25806BW '74 OTS

Hello Dick,
You wont find what you seek by looking at the top of the Gearbox, its in the seats. The top of the Gearbox has:

1. a Reverse Gear switch to turn on the Reversing Lights when Reverse Gear is selected.
  2. a fitting for a Breather Pipe
    and
  3. a Blanking Plug for a threaded hole where a 4th Gear Switch would be located if the car was equipped with Overdrive. Overdrive was never fitted as an option for an E Type, but the Laycock de Normanville Type A, Compact overdrive will fit right in without even a modification to the Tail Shaft, with all S3 cars and 2+2 models of S1/S2 cars. A different Gearbox Main Shaft is required when fitting the Overdrive.

That’s it.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the response and info on Laylock de Normanville overdrive,
Pictures I seek show the gearbox interface (microswitch) used in the seat belt interrupt system (‘73’-'74MY NA cars).
Components shown below as #5 are those I seek pictures of. They comprise the transmission input to the interrupt system. Pictures will be used in a forthcoming book documenting such systems.

Again, thanks for your input.

Happy Trails

Dick

Hello Dick,
I have an unmolested 1971 and 1974, USA delivered S3 OTS in work, both with Seat Belt warning systems and neither have the hardware shown in 5 of your schematic.

Where item C32482 (breather pipe fitting) is shown to attach is where the Overdrive cut out switch would attach and item C32482 normally attaches to where item C33470 is shown to attach in your picture.

Having these two items arranged as shown in your picture is quite OK in terms of functionality with a car not equipped with Overdrive, but I have never seen an original, unmolested E Type with that arrangement and I’ve seen hundreds.

The attached picture following, taken from the SNG Barratt Website, shows the arrangement of the Top Cover of all that I’ve seen.

I have another USA delivered S3 coming in to work next week. This is another 1974 car and will be stripped down in the following weeks; I’ll see if that is any different to all that I’ve seen before, and take pictures accordingly.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

Hello Dick,
Further to my last Post, this morning I removed the centre console and transmission tunnel top cover on a late 1973 build, USA delivered OTS and it has the breather and blanking screw arranged as in your picture; this is the first that I’ve seen with that arrangement and it appears to be original.

I note also, notwithstanding that the SNG website shows the arrangement as in the picture in my last Post, in their hard copy parts manual for the S3, it show the same arrangement as your picture, along with the switch paraphernalia shown under “5” in your picture.

I’ve found reference stating that the equipment listed in your picture under “5” was fitted to cars going to Canada and the USA, from engine number 7S 14001. I haven’t checked the engine number of the car I looked at this morning, but given that its a late 1973 build car (deemed a 1974 car), its engine number would have to be greater than 7S 14001. However, it had none of the switch gear shown under “5” in your picture.

The wiring schematic I have shows the optional wiring for cars fitted with a Seat Belt Warning System, but no reference to any interface with a Manual Gearbox Switch. It shows the wiring from the SBW System connecting to the safety switch on an Automatic Transmission.

Regards,

Bill

Gentlemen, I have a related question, if I may. My 1971 SIII 2+2 manual tranny looks like the 2nd diagram above, i.e., no seat belt switch or wiring. My back-up lamps quit working, and I’ve more-or-less traced the problem to the reverse lamp switch on the tranny. Do I have to remove the whole console to access and change the switch? Or can I do it from within the shift boot opening.
Thanks.

Hello Ferman,
You might get it with modified spanners, but I have my doubts; I believe the Pivot Tower on the Top Cover will be in the way. But first you would have to get the Shift Boot off and that is removed from the underside of the Centre Console; accordingly, you would have to remove the Centre Console to do that and in doing so, circumvent having to try to replace the switch through the Shift Boot opening.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

Hi Bill,

One of the reasons for my desire to cover the system is to alleviate confusion. Early Series 3 manual cars didn’t have the seat belt interlock system. Hence, nothing contained in the official parts manual drawing. As years progressed and USA safety codes were changed Jaguar had to make two re-designs in seat belt restraint technology installed. The first iteration relied only on a dash board light to warn the occupant about “buckling up”. To comply with 73-74 standards an active seat belt interrupt system was installed stopping the engine from starting unless seat belt(s) were properly fastened, along with other inputs (transmission, etc). The manual transmission system drawing was revised in '73 for S3 E-type V12 Parts Manuals, depicting the new interlock hardware.
As for wiring, there are two different wiring schematics, based on production year, that cover both systems. That data will also be covered in the book.
If a car you currently have on hand has the later system as depicted in my post and you have access for pictures I would appreciate any and all photographs of the installed parts/components.
Thanks again for your follow-up input. It is appreciated.
If you like, you can send photo’s directly to me: OV1pilot@aol.com.

Happy Trails,

Dick