Series 3 Wiper Stalk p/n AEU2804

Hi has anyone out there managed to track down an exploded view of the wiper stalk switch part number in title. I just found a box of parts in the boot of a wiper stalk but all in pieces. This may confirm a thought I had that the switch that has been fitted and which looks very new may be reponsible for the fact that I have no wipers at present. I think that maybe the switch fitted is not the correct one. I’d like to try and reassemble the dismantled switch and see if it solves the problem.
Thanks
Con

H Con,

Not an exploded view, but these schematics might help you to troubleshoot why your existing switch isn’t working.

Best,
Aristides

Oh wow Aristedes, Thanks for that. Can I ask where you found this? The manual I have is no where as clear as this. Should be a great help. Currently we are getting quite a bit of rain so the Jag is going no where until I can get the wipers sorted. Quick question about the delay unit. I beleive this is located above the fuse box on the passengers underside of the dash. All I have found there is a duct of some sort for the climate control. Is it there behind the ducting or am I looking in the wrong place?
Con

Should be there, Con - just above the aux fuse panel, on the right angle component panel…

An added function on the stalk switch, not shown in the schematics is the pushbutton connection for the screen washer pump - it is just a ground connection…

A way to use the diagrams to clarify/verify switch connection/function is to use the numbers on the switch and an ohmmeter. Then, when functioning correctly, install the switch and connect the wires…

First; the #2 is permanent ground - connected to the plain black wire. #1 has permanent power from the fuse - light green wire…

In ‘off’; you have ‘0’ ohm between #7/1 and between #5/6.

In ‘intermittent’; ‘0’ between #7/3/1 (in any combination) and #5/6

In ‘slow’; ‘0’ between

[quote=“Frank_Andersen, post:4, topic:364461”]
In ‘fast’; ‘0’ between #7/2 and between #1/4

In ‘slow’; ‘0’ between #7/2 and between #1/5

Tis is not immediately clear from the diagrams - but they are then used to connect wires to the switch according to colour codes…

Can’t help with assembly and mounting on the switch - but that may not pose a problem…

Sorry for the divided post - finger trouble…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Sorry Constantnos, I can’t remember where I found these schematics… they were my files.

As Frank said, it must be there…

Aristides

Thanks to you both, will spend some time today playing.
Con

A PO may of course, for some unfathomable reason, have removed the delay unit, Con…

This will not interfere with normal wiper operation - only disable the ‘intermittent’…

Frank

Today I had a bit of a play. It seems that the intermittant function is working, very slowly but working, it doesn’t seem to Park though. So I’m thinking the the delay unit is working. Think I’m going to be pulling the motor and gearbox and doing a whole lot of cleaning and lubricating. Still the fact that it works at all means I will be able to take the car out if it looks like rain. That’s going to have to wait for a little while now. The jobs are building up on his car :frowning.
Thanks all.
Con

If you can’t solve it before the next rain, try disabling the park switch (it is clipped in, depress it constantly, also good for troubleshooting) and see if it is stopping when you put the stalk in off. I managed to automatically park my wipers manually; had perfected it until the wipers ran amok: I got pretty good and now I‘m in the same place as you, have to rebuild it all.
Probably obvious: don’t dry wipe, keep the screen wet or remove the wiper arms. That’ll make it faster as well.

And when disassembling the motor keep track of how the parking assembly on the large nylon wheel goes together. Mine‘s dissolved long ago but looks like you should take pictures.
And check that you depress all three brushes on reassembly of the motor, be patient with the screws and they’ll go in eventually. The bracket is easy with a socket and extension.
Oh, and the little screws in the unit are 6.5 mm or whatever your standard drill uses as the bit extension size.

A working ‘delay’ function, but no other wiper action imply that the fault is with the switch/wire connections, Con - but if the delay relay is missing in this situation, something is very wrongly connected…:slight_smile:

The ‘delay’ use the ‘slow wipe’ functions, but Jaguar did not really select a very powerful motor - very noticeable with a dry screen. And old grease in the linkages does not help much.

However, if the parking function does not work; it is either the parking switch in the motor, a fault in the switch - or general misconnections…

Frank

Frank, I haven’t had a close look at the actual stalk switch or the associated wiring yet. I can see that someone had been fiddling with it. There is electrical tape wrapped around the wires going to the stalk which has got me wondering what the PO was trying to achieve. I lifted the wipers from the glass and there is a marked difference in the wiper speed and the parking seems to have improved with use. I’ll have a closer look on the weekend.
Thanks All
Con

The best solution for the slow wipers Con is to fit relays, they will hugely improve their speed.
Lots of info in the archives and in Kirby Palm’s book.

Windshield Wiper Relays Schematic.pdf (17.0 KB)

Aristides

Aristedes, that’s definately an option for the future but at the moment I just need them to actually work as intended.
I took the switch out today, it’s being held together with 2 cable ties and a rubber band? One of the contact plates was loose from the sliding plate that makes the contacts for the different speeds.I think that may be the contacts for the low and fast speeds. Quite an ingeniuos design. I am looking for a replacement but I think I might have a good at repairing it and reassembling it. Wish me luck :smile:
Cheers
Con

Bad connections will explain the problem, Con - in addition to possible misconnection with the PO bodge…

Whether it can be satisfactorily mended or not remains to be seen - good wishes. Then verify the connections with an ohmmeter…

Before going into the complications with relays; test the motor speed with jumpwiring from the battery - if there is no/little change, relays won’t make any difference to wiper speeds. However; relays do ease the current load on the switch…

Frank

I stripped the switch today and cleaned all the grease out. I found all the contact strips were loose and one had come completely adrift from the plastic plate that holds them in place. I also think another plate is missing completely. Any way I cleaned them up and epoxied them back in place then I applied a little grease to the all the places that looked like they would need it. I ground off the original broken rivet pins and drilled holes through the metal cover. I then used some small bolts the hold the whole switch together. Better than the cable ties that were originally there. Refitted back into car for testing. I now have intermittent wipe and fast wipe. The washer pump works and single wipe also works. No slow wipe. I think that this is being caused by a missing contact plate. No matter I am happy to have the rest working and until I can get to take another switch apart I will not know what is missing. I can supply pictures if anyone is interested.

Good work well done, Con…!

The missing strip is certainly the guilty party - it probably connects #1 (light green) to #7 (black/light green) in ‘slow’ position. Indicated by no power to motor in ‘slow’…

Frank