Series 3 XJ6 ECU Upgrade

Probably best to ask Haltech the question.

Only if the basic engine settings/mixture are set wrong, Tony. The Lambda only interferes with mixture at steady cruising…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

That and everything else entirely depends on the ECU :slightly_smiling_face:

The Wideband O2 sensor that I chose is quite different to the narrow band sensor that were used in years past. Those sensors were really only for emissions requirements and as many have said plays no part when the car is warming up. The Wideband sensor is all about Air Fuel Ratio. In the Haltech setup I have, this takes readings at idle and when the car is warming up. In fact, it has a map that is setup to allow richer mixtures during warm up and then learns over time. As for your dilemma, Randy, all I can suggest is to not configure the O2 sensor before you take it in for the bung to be welded. I’m sure it should work; it just won’t have any feedback as to monitoring the AFR. It wouldn’t hurt to drop Haltech a line and see if they have any specific advice in this regard. I’ve been working on the next couple of chapters and will try and get them out in the next couple of weeks.

Don’t know about the upgraded ECU, David; ‘our’ ECUs just assumes that basic settings, mixture, fuel pressure etc are correct - and fuels accordingly. It controls only the amount of time the injectors are open - and gets no information on basic settings. And the O2 sensor’s feedback is disregarded during acceleration…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UKNZ)