Series I FHC B-post install question

I’ve checked the site and the net. Went especially to John Carey’s videos. I can’t seem to find whether and how the quarter glass w/strips interact with the fixed chrome B-post piece. In other words, does the w/strip go under, over or is it terminated relative to the post (the one that bolts to the roof and top of the rear quarter. Since the strips are supplied long, I’m not sure of the specifics. In my case I got the car apart, so no past to go by. This is a Series I, so no channel for the w/strip over the door.

I believe I carved the quarter window seals down to where they fit in the void space behind the B-post. Might have stuffed a carved piece in there and super glued it. I do know there is seal material to the front edge of the B-post where it meets the top of the door seal. (In other words I didn’t leave a gap and I didn’t squeeze silicon in there).

1 Like

Early Series 1s definitely had a channel for the weatherstrip over the door as well as arround the quarter light

1 Like

Ours is a late 3.8 ('64). While the car was very much apart when we got it, some parts were not molested. When the cant rail interior piece is “offered up” (as the Brits say) the only holes that line up over the door and A-post are cant rail holes. Around the quarter glass two sets are noted - fortunately my brother in law also saved the quarter w/strip channels themselves. With this evidence and what some list members have offered it does seem our unit never had the over the door channels.

1 Like

Thanks, that is useful data - and it makes sense. There is a tiny bit of residue in one spot of a post, but not enough to confirm how it was installed UNDER the post.

Larry,
My '63 had weather-strip channels that ran the entire length of both windows. At the B-Pillar the channel was trimmed to be flat at that location so the rubber was also cut at that point. I did stuff the ends of the rubber behind the B-Pillar but didn’t use any glue. I know that in later models (not sure of the cut off point), the weather-strip channel was shortened to end at the B-Pillar so only the quarter glass window seal used the channel. The portion that ran around the door windows and A-Pillar was just glued in place.

1 Like

As usual, I checked your videos. There was a tantalizing glimpse of the area in question as you did the driver’s door glass assembly. My channel is squeezed or cut flat-ish at the area under the B-post as you say. Our '64 has arm rests, so I’d guess it was close to the change over to the 4.2. I think I need to figure out how much and exactly how I should trim the rubber.

Ditto, for my ‘63 coupe.

1 Like

Quarter window only on my '64. No evidence (rivet holes) of a retainer above the doors.

1 Like

I cut mine a bit long and squished it into position in the “C” channel retainer so it was forced up against the “B” pillar.

1 Like

Question. Is the weather stripping around the quarter window suppose to “fit” in to the retainer shown in your picture? I thought the retainer was only to secure the can rail. From the B post forward is the retainer and rubber weather stripping the same width as around the quarter window?

Yes, the bead on the rubber fits inside the retainer groove. The cant rail is held in place by small screws under the retainer. My car did not have a retainer ahead of the B-post. Earlier cars did. You can tell by matching holes in the roof structure with holes in the cant rail…there were none left over for a retainer channel (forward of the "B: post).

1 Like

Eric, thank you for the reply. Yes my car does have the cant rail (same width as the quarter window retainer) forward of the B post running over the door windows, down to the bottom of the A post (bottom of the windshield) what’s causing me grief is the A Post rubber is the same size (width) bottom to top. The door retainer itself will accommodate this width but from the windshield up will not…??? To be redundant the A Post rubber is one width but the retainers are one size on top and another on the bottom. Could it be that the original A post rubber stopped at the top of the door and was sized down to the same width of the retainer around the quarter window? I see little choice but to “cut” the A post at the bottom of the windshield and replace it with rubber that is the same width of the quarter window. ???

BTW, our new e-mail is: LJvelk@protonmail.com
I think others answered your question, and, yes, our '64 (3.8 with arm rests, so a later 3.8 FHC build) did NOT have a retainer above the door glass. The weather strip just glued to the naked steel roof rail.

1 Like

My Nov 62 build has the quarter light style retainer above the door. The seal I received (25yrs ago now) was in three parts joined together. The dogleg was connected to different sections above and below. The section above has the foot like the quarterlight seals. You can see the upper join in lthis photo

Dave,Thank you soo much. A picture is worth a thousand words. Does that 2 or 3 inches going up above the dog leg fit into a retainer or glued?

My car is 887351 built Oct 62.

Mine was built in November!

:smirk:

1 Like

Hi Harold
Just glued in place. My recollection is that the big blocky part of the dog leg was much thicker than the space available, so I trimmed quite a thick section off the back to get a good fit. Mine is close to yours, 887425 :+1:
Regards Dave

1 Like

Harold, This is 887030 (build Sept 26, 1962) that had the weather strips installed between 1990 and 1995 - not by me. Note that on the right door at the B pillar, the W/S coming from the A Pillar was not trimmed and is still long so as to trim to length. The Left door had this length trimmed to fit tight.

I don’t know anything about the vendor for the W/S but it is simply glued in place. On the driver’s side, they made quite a mess of the adhesive. I’ve a bit of work ahead of me when I turn my attention to the weather stripping.

1 Like