Series II engine number

Hello,
I have a 1970 Series II E-Type. Engine number on ID plate is 7R 12667-9. But there’s no engine number
on the cylinder head. Why not??? Haven’t yet tried to find the engine number on the oil filter housing. Thanks, Phil

There is no number used on cylinder heads of that vintage. You will find the engine number if you look on the left-hand side of the bell housing. Behind the oil dipstick.

Phil,
Jaguar discontinued stamping the engine serial number on the XK engine cylinder head in the late 60s (1968?). About the same time they relocated the engine serial number from the boss above the oil filter and stamped it on the flange on the left side of the engine at the rear near the oil dipstick.
The location of the serial number of my 1969 E-Type FHC is shown circled in red in the attached picture.

This question gets asked regularly on this list so I keep a picture handy to explain the engine serial number locations.

Paul

1 Like

Hello, Bill,
You’re correct. I found the engine number down by the bell housing, But in the process, I discovered something disturbing. The engine number on the ID plate is 7R12667-9. The engine number at the bell housing is 7R12567-9. How unusual is this? To me, this represents a human error, but…

Thanks, Phil Starr
Champaign, Ill

You might take a close look at the data plate to see if it is original or a replacement made by a PO.

Both the plate itself and the font of the stampings are clues – most here can spot a replacement plate with a glance. If you’re comfortable posting a photo that might answer the question.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it, you’re going to drive it and enjoy it right? My transmission has a double stamp on the cover, the guys that it we’re doing the stamping must’ve been brain dead. Do it all day and you would be too.

1 Like