Series II Fuel Tank Vent Hose Configuration

I am moving on to the fuel system on my Series II FHC and need to order a new tank. From my car number, 1R26601, it looks like I should have the triple vent hose arrangement. When I look into the access cover at the filler hose, I only see a single small hose that connects aft of the filler and goes up. This may be a dumb question, but where should I see the triple hoses which connect to the vent tank? I do not have the tank out yet but I do not see any other hoses around the tank that I can see.

SNG has a complete tank kit on sale now but it it only the C19801 tank which their catalog indicates is for an earlier car. Maybe their break-in numbers are a little off?

Thanks,
Doug

This may help.
On mine someone had replaced the tank with an earlier one. I fabricated an expansion/overflow tank and hooked it up with the single vent hose. The fabricated tank then went to the charcoal canister. See the last pages for the correct configuration.
1970 Specs-emissions.pdf (2.6 MB)

Bill, thanks for the info. This helps understand that design.

I pulled the tank today and found a single vent hose connected from a port on the tank aft of the filler hose directly to the filler neck under the gas cap. There is no separate expansion tank or any evidence of a prior installation. I have been looking to see if I could find an original tank part number on the tank but my tank still has the pad on the top of the tank glued on which leaves a matted mess when I pull it off so I have not found any markings. The filler and vent arrangement are shown in the attached photos. This arrangement looks like an earlier tank configuration (C19801) I am seeing in the parts catalogs.

Can anyone tell me if there are any variations on a single vent tank? As I said in my original post, per the SNG parts list, my car should have the tripple vent arrangement but it does not.

I wouldn’t take as gospel the change points offered in a parts catalog. Your car has other features typical of early 69 S2s but I am not an expert on what changed when. @davidxk might be able to answer this.

Does your car have a charcoal canister? It is a can about 6" in diameter and maybe 3" tall that may be mounted behind the battery:

Hard to see it but I think it would have been there for the later tanks but not the early tanks and your car appears to be mostly an unmolested example so its presence or absence would be a clue.

Geo,
Thanks for the help, again!

I meant to include the fact my car did not have a charcoal canister in my last post so this confirms my configuration.

My S2 is a late 69, and has the single vent tank. When I ordered a replacement years ago, they sent me the emissions version, with three vents. Since you know the right answer, order an S1 tank and avoid disappointment.

The EX/EM version of the SII FHC began with chassis No. 2R.27051. Your car is earlier and should be a 1969 and was fitted with the single hose fuel tank.

Richard Liggitt

1 Like

Richard,
Thanks for the data on the production break-in. I ordered the tank I had so all should be good!