Series II lower ball joint install

Hi Gang,
I read all of the posts for the XJ lower ball joints install but none of them seemed to help. I’ve already destroyed a set of moog lowers squeezing them through the hole, completely shredding the boots. So, my second set I’m being careful with - it seems like it’s more than just the boot causing the issue, where the ball joint seats is 0.218 inches smaller than the base of the joint. Is there a race in there that I need to knock out? It’s not particularly evident.

Where can I post a pic or two to show what I mean?

Sixth icon from the left gives you this;

Click on the choose files then hit upload

Thanks for your help Robin!

I think you will find there is a steel ring that needs to be removed.
Its not required with the sealed for life units.

Yes, it’s the same with the Series III which also left the factory with maintainable ball joints.
Your last picture shows the base of the hub carrier. It’s not obvious but there is an inner ring pressed into it. It looks like one assembly but if you turn it over and tap the lip it will drop out.
Then your sealed joints will fit properly.

The guys are right - that ring is actually receives the ball joint in the old assembly type ball joints. It will drift out. The new joints will just fall into place. Note: the old bolts will be a little long - you may wish to cut them down so as to keep them away from the boots.

Excellent! Thanks team. I’m going to get that suspension finished this weekend.